Installation disc damaged, permissible to download?

Reaction score
Hi,

My Panther installation disc has become damaged, can i download Panther from the internet.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
As far as I know legally you can't. But if you contact apple they might be able to give you a discount on tiger. I don't think they sell panther anymore. Or there's always ebay.

But to answer your question. You can't from apple. But there are always other ways of obtaining it which cannot be discussed here. As long as you keep your broken panther cd you'll be fine.

OP
S
Reaction score
As far as I know legally you can't. But if you contact apple they might be able to give you a discount on tiger. I don't think they sell panther anymore. Or there's always ebay.

But to answer your question. You can't from apple. But there are always other ways of obtaining it which cannot be discussed here. As long as you keep your broken panther cd you'll be fine.

Thanks for your reply.

What i want is a legal Panther installation.
OK, if someone buys Tiger for example, what he actually gets is a license which allows the person to install Tiger on just one mac and not more. So this person actually pays for the license (the right to install Tiger on one mac), instead for the Tiger DVD. The point here is: Even though the medium (DVD) is damaged, i still have the license for Panther because i paid money for that. If someone has a license, he has the right installing Panther, no matter were the installation is obtained from, BUT he must limit the installation only on one mac.

Do i got a point here???

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Thanks for your reply.

OK, if someone buys Tiger for example, what he actually gets is a license which allows the person to install Tiger on just one mac and not more. So this person actually pays for the license (the right to install Tiger on one mac), instead for the Tiger DVD. The point here is: Even though the medium (DVD) is damaged, i still have the license for Panther because i paid money for that. If someone has a license, he has the right installing Panther, no matter were the installation is obtained from, BUT he must limit the installation only on one mac.

Do i got a point here???

Thanks

Yes, I believe you are right. As with most programs, you pay for the CD-Key more than anything else. If you have a valid CD-Key, then nobody would know the difference where you got the installation.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for your reply.

Do i got a point here???

Thanks

I agree with your line of thinking - just as when I buy music, I'm not paying for the medium, I'm paying for the privilege of listening to the song.

Of course, legally speaking, it's still shaky ground. Copyright laws are constantly being disputed. If you want to make sure that everything is totally copasetic, I would give Apple tech support a call and ask about a replacement CD.

M

MacHeadCase

Thanks for your reply.

Do i got a point here???

Thanks

Well the question should be how did the disk get damaged? If it has never worked then Apple should have replaced it long ago. If the user damaged it, then Apple shouldn't be responsible.

Maybe try eBay to see if you can get a copy cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.