Upgrading to 2GB Ram. What's a good brand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
RAM is RAM IMO...no need to buy a name brand, just as long as it is in compliance with your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Corsair is good.

Normally I'd tell you not to waste your money on putting "Mac Compatible" RAM in a MB or MBP because while you obviously *can* put it in (if you want to be totally absolutely 100% doubly certain that the RAM will be compatible) the machines take regular old DDR2/667 SODIMMs and just about any stick ought to work, whether it's labeled Mac Compatible or not.

In this case though... there's functionally no cost difference between "regular" PC5300 SODIMMs and "Mac Compatible" PC5300 SODIMMs. So. You might as well get the Mac compatible stuff. And, as I said, Corsair is a good brand. Mushkin is good, Crucial and Kingston are good, PNY, OCZ and Patriot are good as well... Basically just look for something with a lifetime warranty, which is what most decent RAM manufacturers are offering now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16/2.5GB, in a coma
I got Corsair myself (a 2GB was on sale at the local Fry's a few days ago). It's been working just fine with my 2.16 Macbook.

OP
maddog345
Reaction score
Thx for all your input guys. I'm prolly gonna get the Corsair with the lifetime warranty.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
RAM is RAM IMO...no need to buy a name brand, just as long as it is in compliance with your system.

Apparently you've been lucky. Cheap, no name memory can be problematic over the long run. What's worse is that when problems are caused by faulty memory modules, they can be a nightmare to nail down as the symptoms tend to be very generic. In my opinion, it's best to go with name brand, lifetime guaranteed memory, so that you can at least factor that variable out of the equation.

Corsair, while a very good brand, is overpriced in my opinion.

I've been dealing with Crucial.com for a very long time and have had nothing but excellent service from them - and their pricing is very competitive. They are also one of the few companies that manufactures their own modules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz HD display, Wacom I3 , WD myBook 500G, intel mac mini, 24"imac(white)
i just got 4G of ram from crucial and it arrived the next day even tho i ticked free delivery. The only troubble is im still waiting for my macbook pro! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
It'll work fine. Mushkin makes excellent RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.