Recommendations for a network friendly printer for mac + pc network

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a home inkjet printer that I will be able to hook up to a USB print server and share over a network to windows and mac pcs. It will be used for light printing tasks of documents and the occasional photo. It is a must that the original drivers be able to support network printing, both mac and pc; I do not want to deal with the reduced functionality of open-source drivers. Inexpensive ink would get bonus points, too (read: not HP :D). I have considered the Canon pixma 5200R and epson stylus c120; what do you think of those?

Thank you for your replies!
David Migl

All the details I left out for brevity's sake: I have a canon pixma ip4000 and tried to share that over a usb print server when my mew mac came in. All other computers were PC's.

PC drivers would work just fine with network printing. Mac couldn't even connect with canon drivers. I had to use guten-print drivers, and those are OK, but I have no control whatsoever over the printer. I can only print: I cannot change quality, enable duplex printing, do maintenance, or, most importantly, know when ink has run out.

From what I have gathered, canon drivers do not support network printing. On the mac, only direct USB printing is supported.

I begin college next year and, being the computer geek, would like to leave my family with a stable computer setup that requires little maintenance and will be problem-free. For that reason, I plan to eventually replace all PCs with macs, and I want a printer that will be just as stable. Using hacked-up open source drivers won't cut it; at the very least, I'd like to be able to know when ink runs out or check ink levels. I also dabble in graphic design as a hobby and would like to print out the occasional photo; the gutenprint drivers produce horrid color, and there's nothing I can do about it.

I've thought about a laser printer. Color output is something that would be very convenient, so my options there are to spring for a pricey color laser that seems more geared toward small office, or to get a separate inkjet for color and monochrome laser (which might be the best option). That puts me right back where I started, needing a color inkjet that is mac and network friendly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No drivers were available for my Canon for either Linux or OS X - bought an HP C5180 right after I got my Mac. It works great - connected via RJ45 to my router - also has USB, but have not tried it. think the 5180 was last years models - but any 5100 series should be about the same. Has multiple ink tanks, so you're not throwing one away when only 1 color runs out - also has high color photo printing add on tray included and a scanner - no fax.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
My Epson 3 in one works on both OSX and Windoze, cant remember the exact model right now think it might be an RX520?

Edit: Its an Epson RX640

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I print wirelessly to my Canon ip6310D from my macbook, my husband prints wirelessly from his mac mini (soon to be replaced by a macbook), and he also prints wired from his desktop PC. Drivers available from Canon's website -- just "finds" the printer once the drivers are installed. Perfect! (Ink reasonabaly priced as well)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.