• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Next great Apple product: A modern Newton or a Macbook Touch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Just saw these new rumors online.

Newton 2

Macbook Touch

Does anyone think either of these have a chance of being real? I would vote for the Macbook before another Newton, but chances are it won't look that good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
They need to hurry up and make a touch macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM
1.5 times the size of an iPhone? I would not want one, too big.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
Just saw these new rumors online.

Newton 2

Macbook Touch

Does anyone think either of these have a chance of being real? I would vote for the Macbook before another Newton, but chances are it won't look that good.

what OS is that on the "Touch macbook"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
No way. No market.

Add a few apps to the iPhone or the Touch, and you will have everything you would need.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plans for another Newton PDA/UMPC crossover could be the reason they're limiting the functionality of the Touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Plans for another Newton PDA/UMPC crossover could be the reason they're limiting the functionality of the Touch.

Maybe. I just really couldn't see Apple trying again. It would fill out their product line pretty nice. From the Shuffle to the Mac Pro.

Reaction score
i think the tablet macbook is a good idea, im not personally crazy about it and would never buy it but I think there is a small market out there for tablets that apple has not tapped yet, maybe a swivel tablet makes more sense with a keyboard, still not my thing but its more versatile, but what do i know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
That Macbook tablet does look pretty nice...it's like a portable version of Microsoft Surface :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
Dell has a tablet coming out but if apple did release one, i am sure they would crush the opposition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
what OS is that on the "Touch macbook"?
OS X 10.5 - "Leopard". Due out this October.

that would make a lot of sense. but i really can just see them making the iphone more pda as it progresses rather than something like a new newton.

but it IS apple, so you never know.

iNewton ;)

Reaction score
touch screens are just a pain. hard to use accurately. thats why a mouse pointer is tiny, unlike your big clumsy fingers.

plus, how do you type on them? touch screen typing is so slow.

i cant see much use for them. the only people who seem to use touch screen tablets are delivery drivers and repair men.

Reaction score
yeah, i wouldnt want one, it would be cool to have touch screen on a laptop with a keyboard but meh not only touch screen.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
touch screens are just a pain. hard to use accurately. thats why a mouse pointer is tiny, unlike your big clumsy fingers.

plus, how do you type on them? touch screen typing is so slow.

i cant see much use for them. the only people who seem to use touch screen tablets are delivery drivers and repair men.

In case you haven't seen any PDAs over the past 10+ years, there is handwriting recognition that's plenty fast when you're good at it.

There are lots of applications for tablets, it just you don't know about them unless you're in a situation. I wish I had one this semester for classes: 3 of them are in a room with old high school style desks, so I can't use my MBP. However, a guy that sits next to me has a tablet, so he gets along fine using his computer.

Reaction score
In case you haven't seen any PDAs over the past 10+ years, there is handwriting recognition that's plenty fast when you're good at it.

There are lots of applications for tablets, it just you don't know about them unless you're in a situation. I wish I had one this semester for classes: 3 of them are in a room with old high school style desks, so I can't use my MBP. However, a guy that sits next to me has a tablet, so he gets along fine using his computer.

yeh ive got and use a pda, and i would bet my years wages you cant type half as quick using the stylus as i can with a keyboard. its ok, but nowhere near as fast.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more time: you don't have to type on an onscreen keyboard, you use a stylus to write just like handwriting and the computer recognizes the writing and turns it into text for you. Of course it's not as fast as typing on a keyboard, nothing is, but it's a lot better than typing one letter at a time with a stylus the way you're describing.

Reaction score
One more time: you don't have to type on an onscreen keyboard, you use a stylus to write just like handwriting and the computer recognizes the writing and turns it into text for you. Of course it's not as fast as typing on a keyboard, nothing is, but it's a lot better than typing one letter at a time with a stylus the way you're describing.

im not talking about one letter at a time, ONE MORE TIME FOR YOU, i have and USE a PDA. i know how to use the stylus to do handwriting. but its still 50 times slower than typing.

maybe before you get all high and mighty you should read my post. if i own a PDA its a fair bet i know what you are talking about!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.