Where to start?

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first time on here and need some advice.
I've just recently bought a mac (brilliant machine) and am wanting to get a website up and running.
I have never designed or developed one before and need advice on where to start. I have read up on various coding languages like html, css, javascript, asp.net so am pretty solid on the theory but have never actually typed a word.
I've been asked by a dog club to design and set up a website for their weekly training evenings and I would love the opportunity to do so but I want to know what is the best way to go about it. As said, I've only recently bought the mac and so haven't got any extra applications so any pointers as to what to use would be very much appreciated.
I hope i've made sense and that you can help me out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
If you know coding, then Coda is the app for you. It has an amazing productive interface and all kinds of other features.

However, since you haven't written any code yet, you might want to reverse engineer some of the sites already on the web. Look at their code and see how things are done. I learnt CSS entirely by this, never touched a CSS manual.

You could also try Dreamweaver if you don't want to get your hands dirty with code. Dreamweaver has a Wizzywig editor where you basically just lay out your elements and they will look the same in the browser. It is however more expensive and creates a lot of junk code.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. Thats a place to start. If I know someone with dreamweaver am i able to borrow their copy to up load onto my mac or do i need to get my own copy? Finances are a bit strained at the moment is all. (hope this isn't against the forum rules)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
It is against the rules to borrow a copy from someone else. The software costs somewhere $200+. You need to get your own copy to use it. Try it out however, there's a 30 day trial on the adobe site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.