iPhone strange charging

Reaction score
I got an iPhone sent from the US to Australia a few days ago. It's working great so far but there are some strange.. characteristics.

I had it keypad (I mean, touchscreen) locked and put it in the charger. I wake up in the morning and the battery is still on red. Same result when I plugged it into my laptop. Do I have to unlock it to charge? I assumed not because the lightning symbol appears and everything seems to be in order, except that it doesn't charge. That said, it doesn't die throughout the day however.

Also, when I'm in a program for too long (Google maps, iPod, etc) it automatically goes back to the homepage even if I'm still looking through maps / songs.

The only conclusion I can come to is that I am either doing something wrong or the iPhone is faulty because something was done wrong in the hardware unlocking process?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
You don't have your computer set to sleep after a while do you? Because it doesn't charge when the computer's asleep.

Reaction score
you got an iPhone to work in Australia?

How did you do it?

Which carrier are you using?

OP
L
Reaction score
You don't have your computer set to sleep after a while do you? Because it doesn't charge when the computer's asleep.

Yeah I don't :( I tried it from the power point anyway and even that doesn't work. Not really sure what's up. I guess I can try charging for 24 hours and go crazy if that doesn't work.

OP
L
Reaction score
you got an iPhone to work in Australia?

How did you do it?

Which carrier are you using?

ebay... I didn't do it myself. The guy did a hardware unlock and loaded in the Australia number format for me. He's pretty legit so I'll see what he says about the battery problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Would it have to do anything with the fact the power output from wall powerpoints are different in the US when compared to Australia. Maybe a little adapter might fix the problem.

OP
L
Reaction score
Would it have to do anything with the fact the power output from wall powerpoints are different in the US when compared to Australia. Maybe a little adapter might fix the problem.

Hmm I bought an adapter so as to actually be able to plug it in, but power output? Oh God. I'll do a bit of research. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
A couple of hours from complete drain, less if you have a slight charge. It charges surprisingly quickly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz
You said it doesn't die throughout the day...Assuming that, It just sounds like the battery icon is stuck. Have you tried turning the phone off and then back on? I would say try restoring it...but i'm not sure how they would affect the phone as far as being unlocked...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
i would suggest a full restore since you say it doesn't die out during the day, so it is charging, just the status being shown isn't accurate.

but, restoring the iPhone would mean you would have to unlock it.. It's easy and doesnt require any hardware tampering

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.