canon printer only printing in colour?!?

Reaction score
hi there,
i'm a mac newbie. switched from PC a few weeks ago. anyway, i'm hoping someone could help me with this problem. i have a canon MP500 printer, and for the life of me, i haven't been able to change the settings from colour to b&w... i thought it was plug-and-play, but when i wasn't able to change the preferences/settings through system preferences or pages (the program i was using at the time), i'm pretty sure i installed the mac printer driver off the CD (i just double-clicked the install icon and let it go). anyway, has anyone else had this problem??? your help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
When you tell it to print, you should get a dialog box with several options on it. Not at the mac right now, so can't be too specific here, but one of the options in a drop-down box will let you select color, photo, etc. You want to select grayscale to print in black & white. If that does not help, post back and when I get home from work I'll look at mine and be more specific (unless, of course, someone else posts another answer here).

Once you set the print dialog box to grayscale, it will stay that way until you select something else -- say for a photo.

OP
M
Reaction score
hi mary, thanks for the reply. however, i don't have that option available. when i go to 'print' from the 'file' drop-down menu, i see 'presets', in which there is only one item called 'standard' there. the box below that one is unlabelled, and it only has 'copies & pages', 'layout', 'scheduler', 'paper handling', 'colorsync', 'cover page', and 'summary' (and within the summary, it doesn't mention anything about any b&w options.

within the 'system preferences' and the 'print & fax' options, there's not much to choose from under 'printer setup'...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
O.K., I looked at my Canon at home. In the dropdowns, I have "Quality & Media". Under that is a checkbox for grayscale. Maybe your model printer does not have that one? If not, I don't know how to tell you to proceed, but there must be a way. Have you called Canon?

Once you find what you are looking for, you can save the pre-set so that you can use it whenever you want. Good luck!

Reaction score
what happens if you try to print a black and white document? does it print nothing, or 'dark colours' black, or print it as normal black? are you only having problems when trying to print a colour document as black and white?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.