java problems

Reaction score
I frequent a site that uses a java applet, however now that I'm a mac user I can't run this app. I've tried using firefox, safari and the safari3 beta. In safari I get a icon where the applet should be running(a coffee cup surrounded by arrows) and I don't get anything in firefox. It says that the java plugin was pre-installed in my browsers and I made sure to enable java.

Has anyone else had trouble running java applets? If so have you been able to fix it? I'm thinking it may just be this particular site but I don't know where I can test that...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I frequent a site that uses a java applet, however now that I'm a mac user I can't run this app. I've tried using firefox, safari and the safari3 beta. In safari I get a icon where the applet should be running(a coffee cup surrounded by arrows) and I don't get anything in firefox. It says that the java plugin was pre-installed in my browsers and I made sure to enable java.

Has anyone else had trouble running java applets? If so have you been able to fix it? I'm thinking it may just be this particular site but I don't know where I can test that...

If you go to Java.com, you can run a test on your browser.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Java Applets work for me on Safari, but crash Firefox

OP
B
Reaction score
ok, update, I've done several browser tests which tell me that my browser can run java. However on the tests that show an image(a java applet), the coffee cup appears. I guess the coffee cup is a loading image, but the applet never loads. I downloaded omni web and the applets run fine in that. So i guess I have a problem in safari. Does anyone know how to correct this?

Reaction score
Hi - I don't know how to fix it but I have the same problem, so you are not alone.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Safari -> Preferences

Reaction score
Ok - my security settings look exactly like that and I still get the coffee cup and arrows. I was on the apple tech site and thought I had the answer. There was an upgrade for OSX which among other things dealt with a problem running Java - however, it was for an earlier version of OSX so wasn't relevant. Thanks for trying Del.

Reaction score
Did this ever get resolved because I'm having the same issue...I'm running Leopard. My girlfriend is having the same issue and she's running Tiger. I'm not sure what to do. We both have tried everything that we can think of

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Apparently Leopard's Java implementation is borked. Apple seems to have an agenda with Java.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently Leopard's Java implementation is borked.

Borked? As in broken??

I'm on Leopard and am developing in Java most evenings after work, with no issues!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Anyone care to actually post a link to a site so we can help troubleshoot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Borked? As in broken??

I'm on Leopard and am developing in Java most evenings after work, with no issues!

That's why I said "apparently," problems are being reported with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Anyone know if this has been resolved yet.

I went onto a car configuration site that runs java and just got this coffee cup thing with nothing happening!!

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Post a link to a website that has a Java Applet that wont run for you.

It may be that your Mac is not configured properly, or it could be that the website has not configured the Applet properly.

Post the link and let us test the site for you to eliminate one or the other!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Java console output when viewing the site

consolenr6.png

The site itself

picture1uj1.png
picture1uj1.ef787cc327.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Del

That's not what I get - just a tea cup with 2 arrows around it!

Is it my mac that's at fault then?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah would appear so.

Over the weekend i will check my settings and post them here for you to compare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.