USB hard disk spontaneously dismounts.

Reaction score
I have an HFS+ formatted external USB drive for my Macbook. Now sometimes is spontaneously unmounts when I am using it. It has happened when I was watching a movie from it, which I rarely do. Usually it happens when I click on a folder in the drive. Also when I am copying a folder to the drive. Sometimes I can copy fine. Sometimes it just unmounts itself midway through the process.

What could be the cause if this problem?
I know that the power adaptor for it was a bit faulty. Recently the drive made a humming in my speakers when I plugged it in. I tried that power adaptor with another drive, and the same buzzing happened, and conversely the used a different adaptor with the first drive and there was no buzzing. So I guess the adaptor is faulty.

Could it be that the adaptor damaged the drive? Or could that be a coincidence? Any advice? because, I bought the drive and the case separately. I was going to return the case (with adaptor) only, but if the drive fault is caused by the adaptor, I want to return the drive too.

Thank you
Justin

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, no-one has answered yet. Could anyone perhaps just mention if they have ever had this problem occur?
Thank you
Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.