Speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
I seem to have a download speed from my Airport Extreme to my MacBook Pro of 5 MB but I only seem to get around 2MB in the other direction. Is that how it is supposed to be and why is that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Check with your ISP. Many limit the upload speed to a fraction of the download speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
Uploading to the internet or uploading to an external drive connected to your base station?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Uploading to the internet or uploading to an external drive connected to your base station?

Same question I was going to ask. If it's ISP, Yes it's normal. With every ISP I have ever worked with, upload speed is always slower than download and sometimes to a very large degree. If you are copying files from one computer to another though, it should be the same.

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry. Was not very clear on this. I mean to a hard drive connected to the base station. Has nothing to do with the internet. I assume that up- and downloading to a hard drive should be done to the same speed normally, or?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
How do you have your base station setup?

802.11n Only (5Ghz) ?
Multicast Rate 24Mbps ?

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I currently have the n with b/g compatible option, but I only have my n-enabled MBP connected when I have this speed and the max Multicast Rate available is 11Mbps, I guess since I am in the UK. But can those setting give different up- and download speeds? What do you get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
Do you have another computer that is b/g only that needs to connect or something? If you only have your MBP change your settings to what I have listed above. Once you change the settings to 802.11n Only (5Ghz) you will be able to set the Multi-Cast rate up to 24Mbps.

The parameters on my Base Station are exactly like yours (only because I also have an Airport Express that I stream music to and wanted to connect to the internet and stream music at the same time). The only way I could do it, is having the Express "join" the network...and the only way the Express can join the network is to set the Extreme Base Station to n/b/g

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I played around with these settings now, but the upload speed to the USB-HD remains at around 2.5MB whole the download speed is around 5MB. Does anyone know what the speed should an could be and is it the HD itself that is the bottleneck?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.