Installer.app CAUTION

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I have a couple of friends who have had major issues after they installed the installer.app into the iphone... further investigation by them said you hav to use extreme caution using this app becuase on some iphones the app is so damaging that not even a restore will always fix it...
i wanted to share this, of course do whatever you want but these guys are major MAC IT guys and they pretty much know all of these products inside and out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
This is pretty much what Apple are saying with regard to unlocked iPhones. They warn that future upgrades are likely to render "jailbreak" iPhones as inoperable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That's what you get if your dumb enough to do this.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no intrest in the 3rd party apps especially for my iphone... its been working really nicely without having to add all that junk...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is a bunch of FUD being propagated by Apple. There is nothing wrong with using Installer.app on your iPhone. I've installed that along with a dozen applications with no negative effects. I've had my cousin and several friends do so as well, also with no problems.

Either your friends have been drinking too much Apple Kool-Aid or they're just idiots who don't know how to do basic stuff like install an application.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a bunch of FUD being propagated by Apple. There is nothing wrong with using Installer.app on your iPhone. I've installed that along with a dozen applications with no negative effects. I've had my cousin and several friends do so as well, also with no problems.

Either your friends have been drinking too much Apple Kool-Aid or they're just idiots who don't know how to do basic stuff like install an application.

My friends are far from idiots....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'm just waiting for the hordes to arrive when the next Apple update breaks every jailbroken iPhone, waving placades detailing their "right" to abuse the iPhone EULA as they see fit. That's what Apple are warning about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
I'm just waiting for the hordes to arrive when the next Apple update breaks every jailbroken iPhone, waving placades detailing their "right" to abuse the iPhone EULA as they see fit. That's what Apple are warning about.
Well said. I'm happy Apple spoke out about unlocking and won't accept it.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whats funny is how Kash is so insulted from using unauthorized hacker apps on his iphone, that he has to insult friends who were just being cool and giving me a heads up... not cool at all....

Maybe you should drink a little apple kool-aid and look for more hacks for your iphone..... funny how you have been the hacker advocate on these boards ive seen you promote installer.app more than anyone here... Ive been sent PMs for infractions for little things I wonder how many you have received....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I say have fun and install away whatever you like, just don't whine about the manufacturer in here if an update breaks your phone. By all means ask in here for help and input to fix it YES, but don't complain about the manufacturer not making accommodations to fix something it never designed in the first place. Personally, I use my iPhone to make CALLS and as such choose to leave it bone stock for now in the interest of reliability. BTW: Flaming people in the forums and calling them idiots is kind of lame Kash. I would have expected a bit more couth from an experienced forum member such as yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also bear in mind that talk of breaking the OSX EULA isn't allowed here - I assume that discussion of breaking the iPhone EULA isn't either...?

Reaction score
using apptap installer does not permanently damage the iphone. Neither do any of the 20 or so apps that I've installed with it. Your friends either don't know what their talking about, you don't understand what they were telling you, your friends work for apple and are simply regurgitating apple propoghanda, or you work for apple and are posting stuff like this all over the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
using apptap installer does not permanently damage the iphone. Neither do any of the 20 or so apps that I've installed with it. Your friends either don't know what their talking about, you don't understand what they were telling you, your friends work for apple and are simply regurgitating apple propoghanda, or you work for apple and are posting stuff like this all over the net.

The issue is complicated enough that you can't state your experiences as being the same for everyone. There are reports of unmodified, locked iPhones failing as a result of this upgrade - do they all work for Apple too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
How do I uninstall installer.app? My iphone isnt bricked or unlocked. The only thing on it is installer.app, mainly because I was going to put games on it.

Edit: Nevermind. A restore worked. Going to the Apple Store tomorrow because I lost my sim tray and my macbook is messed up. Wish me luck.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I uninstall installer.app? My iphone isnt bricked or unlocked. The only thing on it is installer.app, mainly because I was going to put games on it.

Go to Itunes and Restore The Iphone to original Status....

Reaction score
The issue is complicated enough that you can't state your experiences as being the same for everyone. There are reports of unmodified, locked iPhones failing as a result of this upgrade - do they all work for Apple too?

There are no legitimate reports (or illigitimate that i know of) of people's iphones being ruinned by third party apps obtained through apptap. And furthermore, how does the fact that un modified phones are failing due to the upgrade in any way prove that apptap is breaking phones? It doesn't even suggest it! It actually nearly rules it out.

Reaction score
I installed AppTap and the iPhone software update definitely
screwed up my phone.

Nothing that couldn't be fixed through RESTORE.

Thing is, I can't use AppTapp with this software version of iPhone.

Will there bean Apptapp update that will work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I installed AppTap and the iPhone software update definitely
screwed up my phone.

Nothing that couldn't be fixed through RESTORE.

Thing is, I can't use AppTapp with this software version of iPhone.

Will there bean Apptapp update that will work?

It's still being worked on as we speak. It the firmware changes are anything like the touch, we may have a bit of waiting on our hands. This is why I'm holding off on the update until there is confirmation that a new version of AppTapp will work.

Reaction score
Is there a website that will post news of a working version
once completed?

Thanks for your help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After listening to the last couple of Macbreaks' weekly podcasts - would say this - for those experienced, you can go ahead and go for putting whatever you like on your iphone (probably would be doing the same if I had one) -

At the same time that Leo Laporte has done some hacks on an extra phone he was given and has them working - he also stated no way was he doing this to his personal phone.

Think I have to agree with Leo, that we as consumers, when we buy a piece of hardware, have the right to do with it as we want. However, when using it in a manner not designed and it breaks, at that point, we have no right to think the manufacturer has to repair it under warranty. There will be some (like myself) that are always wanting to stretch the limit of a new toy, there are others, that don't want or can't afford for that toy to break and have to pay to have it fixed or have a "brick" - so just consider, which are you before you begin hacking, overclocking, etc. any piece of electronic hardware you may get.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.