Can't get vista and macbook to share files with each other

Reaction score
I've got a vista ultimate PC and a macbook running OS X 10.4.10.

They are both connected to a Linksys router on my home network. When you go to network in Finder on the mac you can see the Windows Network Workgroup and the computer but when you click connect it says

Code:
The Alias "XXXXXX" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found

and it seems to do no difference connecting via ethernet cable or wireless.

On the vista side, when going to the network explorer window you can't see the macbook machine what so ever.

They both have the same users/usernames but use different passwords. I used to able to network between the two when I was running vista. I've spent many hours on google trying to find a solutions but many of them don't seem to make a difference. I have tried the one about serucity policies in gpedit.msc on vista with out luck. The vista machine has network discoverable in the network sharing panel.

I've also searched through the forums and tried the suggested Connect to server route with

Code:
smb://192.168.1.68

but this just returns the error

Code:
The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://192.168.1.68" could not be read or written (Error code -36)

I also have a number of folders shared on vista.

Anybody got any bright ideas as its a real stumbling block. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
First, make sure you are sharing your mac correctly. go into sys prefs > sharing. Turn on windows sharing. Then click Accounts. Make sure your account is enabled:
attachment.php

Then open Applications > Utilities > Directory Access
Click the padlock on the lower left to unlock the tool.
Make sure the SMB/CIFS service is enabled. Select it and click Configure. Enter the Workgroup and WINS Server (if you use/know them):
attachment.php

Give that a shot and report back.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

OP
G
Reaction score
Tried that. Without any luck.

I don't know what my WINS Server is so just left it blank. Guess it doesn't really apply as I'm not running a server.

In the Sharing panel under prefernces it says:

Windows users can access your computer at \\192.168. etc

So I opened a command prompt in vista and typed in the address suggseted but returns the error

Network Path not found.

Also tried doing it via the Map Network Drive when Right clicking my computer and still no luck. Returned the error:

Specified network name is no longer available.

Any more suggestions?

OP
G
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps but using the suggsted address from OS X, if it is pinged from the vista machine it seems fine and gives a response. However when you try to ping the vista machine from OS X there appears to be no response. Just says pinging 192.168 etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turn off any firewall software on the PC and mac. Then try to connect and ping again.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah that seems to of sorted the problem I think. Hopefully find out if theres any more probs over the next couple of days.

It was a setting in my KasperSky firewall in that the network zone hadn't been configured as a local network but instead as an internet zone.

The mac now appears in vista in the network explorer and connects fine. On the mac I can connect to the vista machine using the Go>Connect to Server, but the vista PC doesn't seem to appear at all in the Network section in Finder. Any ideas why?

Thanks again-been a massive headache trying to get that sorted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, good, glad you got it fixed.

I think for machines to show up in Network, you need some sort of machine to act as a domain master... or somesuch goblygeekspeak.
An easy workaround is to mount the vista machine, then drag it into the finder's sidebar. Then you have one click access.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok I'll give that a try. Thanks again - massive massive help, awesome that I can now finally share files between the two again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
In my experience, Networking has always been a problem on the Windows end. I've never had to touch any network settings in OS X.

As for the Vista-PC not showing up in Network tab, it takes some time to. Go to the network tab, and then click on it again after like 10 minutes and see. The Go>Connect option is better though...

To avoid these problem entirely, get a router...

Reaction score
Similar Issue

I'm a brand new mac user, and I'm trying to network my mac and pc so I can pull files from an external hard drive connected to the PC.

Anyway, When in Applications, Utilities, I don't see direct access listed. I also didn't see any reference to connecting windows in the sharing utility.

Can someone help this newbie?

- Jen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.