• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Exporting 16:9 from FCP using Compressor!

Reaction score
I need some help regarding exporting 16:9 from FCP using Compressor.

i shoted a documentary using 16:9 format on my sony camera, i grabbed it into my FCP edited it and it looks great. When i tried to export it in MPEG2 format using compressor, and later on burned it on a dvd, it doesn't look good on my widescreen TV. i exported it both 4:3 and 16:9, the 4:3 looks nice but the 16:9 looks stretched out and i see the black widescreen borders on the top and bottom.

so now my question is:

is there anyway that i can export my video in 16:9 format and when i watch it on a widescreen tv i don't see the black borders on the top and bottom and even though if i see them but the picture is not stretched out?

please help me with and try to explain it in a step by step method.

Thank you in advance and i am really very sorry for the messed up english.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
It is possible that you edited in 4:3 in Final Cut Pro. Was Final Cut's sequence set to 16:9 anamorphic? If not, you edited it in 4:3. There should be no black bars at all when editing 16:9 footage in Final Cut Pro's 16:9 mode. In Final Cut Pro, right click on the SEQUENCE in the bin, go to SETTINGS. Is Anamorphic 16:9 checked? It needs to be. Unfortunately you'll need to recapture and re-edit all of your footage again. You need to tell Final Cut Pro that the footage is anamorphic as well. You can do this as you capture it.

To view the DVD without the black bars, select "Zoom" on your TV. When the 16:9 video is properly captured and edited, export to 16:9 via Compressor like you did before. The DVD will not look stretched this time and will have more resolution than your current DVD which you must zoom.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the quick reply.

i just checked it by doing Command 0, the anamorphic is not selected :(

so does that mean that i will have to recapture and re-edit the whole thing again? is there any other way? PLEASE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
Unfortunately if you want true 16:9 that is the only way. But like I said, you can zoom in on the current DVD, and it will play fine on 4:3 sets.

If you decide to re-edit, one advantage would be that you are already familiar with how you edited it. Yes, it is a chore, but it will go much more quickly as a result. You may even notice something else that you want to try and make it better, content-wise. Plus, you'll get more practice with FCP which is always good.

Here's some tips:

Actually I was wrong, it is likely that you don't have to recapture all of the footage into FCP. If it came up letterboxed when you inserted it into the timeline, then FCP knows the footage is 16:9. The only other possibility is that black bars were recorded onto the original video footage. If that is the case, there is nothing you can EVER do to fix this footage. Here's how you check:

Open up your project in Final Cut Pro. Right click on any clip that you have captured and choose the ITEM PROPERTIES > FORMAT selection. Are there check marks next to the ANAMORPHIC section? If so, then that is good. If not, then the camera did not properly shoot in 16:9.

Anyway, once it is determined that all of the footage is actually 16:9, change the sequence so that it is 16:9 as well. The video will appear squashed and with black bars on the top and bottom in the CANVAS. One by one, delete each clip from the timeline, replacing it with the same clip from the BROWSER which should now look OK once it gets into the timeline. I hope that makes sense, but once it is in the timeline, you can't change it. Just remove it and replace with the same thing.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you so much joe, i will try following your step.

Thanks once again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.