Imac ''humming'' noise

Reaction score
Hi
I just got a new imac, was absolutely silent, I upgrades the ram and now I'm getting a constant ''humming'' sound... not very loud but still enerving...

is this a known issue? can somthing go loose inside while pushing the new ram in or something?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Could it be simply a fan? More RAM = more heat being emitted - perhaps your iMac now has a larger cooling need and is revving the fans higher? How much RAM did you put in, and what type is it?

The acid test would be to temporarily remove the new RAM and see if the noise goes away. If so, it is likely heat and fan related.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
mac57; that's a possible explanation for what he's experiencing. The only question I'd have is if it would really make that much of a difference... I don't recall seeing any information for DDR2, but I read somewhere once that DDR uses like 5w per stick or something... DDR2 would probably be less than that as it runs at a lower voltage. I'm not sure that an additional few watts of heat would make a noticeable difference in fan speed. It's possible though, and I haven't got any other suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Agreed Geeky1, that is why I suggest pulling it out and seeing if the noise goes away. If it does, it is heat. If it doesn't...

It could also just be a mechanical problem - something not quite put back together as tightly as it originally was.

OP
I
Reaction score
thanks, I added a 2G bar from owc... I will try removing it to see of the noise goes away....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Maybe the ram makes the airflow different, changing it's sound.
Whatever the case may be, if something in my office wanted to hum for me, I'd surely not complain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.