iChat connection problem

Reaction score
The first time I set up iChat I connected fine but didn't have anyone to talk to. Now I have someone that I want to chat with but keep getting the following:

iChat Connection Alert
Could not connect to AIM
The host refused the connection, try again later.

What does that mean? Since the host is refusing the connection is there anything that I can do on my end to fix it? I double-checked my screen name and re-entered my password. So I don't think either of those is a problem. I've also tried re-connecting multiple times over the last half hour without success. I am on the Internet and can connect to Skype.

I've checked all the threads in iChat connection problems and cannot seem to locate a similar problem. Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I've been getting this a lot recently, I've came to the conclusion that AIM sucks. Try changing the port to 443. You can do that by navigation to Preferences > accounts > your screen name > Sever Settings.

Reaction score
i literally had (even not having people to talk to until recently) the same problem and it worked thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.