Apple pofficially comments on hacking, warranty issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Just noticed this on Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/24/apple-finally-weighs-in-on-iphone-hacks-unlocking/

I was thinking that even if you completely scramble the software, can't you just save the original code and flash it back onto the device to revert it back to the way it was? I've done some mild modding on my Motorola and didn't worry about messing it because I could always put the original firmware back in it.

Reaction score
I wonder did apple actually unlock one of their iPhones using the softwares on the net and tried updating it with their new patch and found that it screws up the phone... or are they just saying it to keep AT&T happy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I wonder did apple actually unlock one of their iPhones using the softwares on the net and tried updating it with their new patch and found that it screws up the phone... or are they just saying it to keep AT&T happy

Probably both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
OUCH....

Thats gotta bite. And it Voids the Warranty as well. Thats insane.

But I guess its the price you pay to have a shiny new iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Be ready for the howls from those with $600 bricks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Be ready for the howls from those with $600 bricks.

I don't have too much sympathy. I have a feeling the internet community won't side with them this time. Or they better not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4
How do people use unlocked iphones? Do they have to get a data plan with their provider? Or are features like the web disabled?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
is this just dealing with iphones unlocked for use with other carriers or people that have iFuntastic to customize the phone?

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If you can just flash the original software back on the phone, I don't see how this is a big issue in terms of warranty since you can just revert it back if you have to take it in. For those who bought it for T-Mobile, I guess you just can't sync it any more!

Reaction score
I bought an iphone to have it unlocked like last week but im gonna return it. I only bought it to use it with T Mobile prepaid. I think ATT sucks there is no prepay option and there service is terrible.

Also the sad thing is when Apple dropped the price more software unlocks became available. Apple sold more phones seperate from being on a ATT Contract therefore most people don't wanna use ATT simple as that. If Apple decides to put out a update that could damage unlocked iPhones they would be sued by thousands of people. Not to mention another week or 2 there will be another Software unlock. You figure ATT isn't worldwide so all the Country's that don't have ATT will just find ways around unlocking the new firmware. Itll keep going around and around like a rollercoaster Apple should of just let it go. But being contracted with ATT they had no choice to put out a update. hah funny how iPhone is becoming like Xbox. People just love hacking Xbox.

Reaction score
I bought an iphone to have it unlocked like last week but im gonna return it. I only bought it to use it with T Mobile prepaid. I think ATT sucks there is no prepay option and there service is terrible.

Also the sad thing is when Apple dropped the price more software unlocks became available. Apple sold more phones seperate from being on a ATT Contract therefore most people don't wanna use ATT simple as that. If Apple decides to put out a update that could damage unlocked iPhones they would be sued by thousands of people. Not to mention another week or 2 there will be another Software unlock. You figure ATT isn't worldwide so all the Country's that don't have ATT will just find ways around unlocking the new firmware. Itll keep going around and around like a rollercoaster Apple should of just let it go. But being contracted with ATT they had no choice to put out a update. hah funny how iPhone is becoming like Xbox. People just love hacking Xbox.

Apple never said they are actively creating program to relock iPhones. All they are saying is that with future updates it may ruin or relock the iPhone. Apple will not work around the unlock software either. They are just giving people a heads up before they all update the new software that is about to be release and then find their phone all screw up and rush to the apple store to get it fix or exchange and they will not honor the warranty because of your "hack". So if you are in trouble, then restore your phone to factory setting before going to apple to get it repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Apple never said they are actively creating program to relock iPhones. All they are saying is that with future updates it may ruin or relock the iPhone. Apple will not work around the unlock software either. They are just giving people a heads up before they all update the new software that is about to be release and then find their phone all screw up and rush to the apple store to get it fix or exchange and they will not honor the warranty because of your "hack". So if you are in trouble, then restore your phone to factory setting before going to apple to get it repair.

There has been some speculation that Apple's stance on this might be in violation of the law. Manufacturers cannot void a warranty for whatever reason that they want, and it is doubtful that the SIM unlock is an acceptable reason to do so under the law. They might be opening themselves up for a class action lawsuit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Apple can void the warranty if people hack the phone. The phone wasn't designed to be hacked in such a manor so why should apple cover it if you modify it? Also, does it say in the terms and conditions (which I have not read) anything about modifying the phone to work with other providers? Sorry, you can't actually sue for anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Apple can void the warranty if people hack the phone. The phone wasn't designed to be hacked in such a manor so why should apple cover it if you modify it? Also, does it say in the terms and conditions (which I have not read) anything about modifying the phone to work with other providers? Sorry, you can't actually sue for anything.

Apple can say whatever they want, but it doesn't mean a thing if they violate the law. Here is a nice article that lays out some of the relevant issues.

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2386/9/

The law that Apple is likely in violation of is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Reaction score
How do people use unlocked iphones? Do they have to get a data plan with their provider? Or are features like the web disabled?

I was going to buy the ipod touch but didnt like the fact that it didnt have a camera and bluetooth. I unlocked my iphone just for the heck of it and bought a pre paid T mob sim card to try it out. After my pre paid card is out I plan on just using the iphone as an ipod/internet device (with wi-fi)/ calendar (cant edit on the touch)/ and a camera. I am keeping hope that one day the bluetooth can be used for headphones something that touch will never have. I also like the fact the iphone has volume control on the side.

I am not really worried about what apple says, I know we have a good community of resourceful people, and now that we can edit information on the iphone they really cant do much, we will just dumb the files we want and install them without updating the phone. I know I have a copy of the current software just incase I have an issue and need to start over..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.