Buy at Apple Store or Authorized Reseller?

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy an iMac and am wondering if it makes any difference where to buy. The nearest Apple store is about an hour away which is a bit inconvenient. Also I don't think that taxes are charged at say www.macmall.com and other autorized resellers. It all adds up! ;D Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jennifer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Apple is such a great company especially when it comes to customer service either would work it just depends how patient you are waiting for the online deliveries... for example the Powerbooks are amost 1-2 weeks to ship, Imacs 2-3 Days and so on, thats the only real diffrence... take the drive in my opinion

OP
J
Reaction score
Another oops! Is there a reseller where you can upgrade to more memory, etc? Thanks again!

Reaction score
Buy the iMac from either the Apple retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Add RAM from OWC or Crucial

Reaction score
When possible I buy from the local seller in my town. I like supporting locally owned businesses but beyond that they do repairs there so I like having a relationship with the folks who one day may need to crack open my laptops and I feel I can really trust them. They like chatting about computers, not always selling me. The only time I didn't buy from them was when I was on a tight budget and went with a refurb from apple.com.

Anyway, my $0.02

OP
J
Reaction score
I wish we had a local Apple store, but we don't. If I buy from MacMall or one of the authorized sellers and get Apple Care, won't Apple take care of it?

Believe me, if there was a Mac store here, I'd be on it in a nanosecond! ;D

Reaction score
I wish we had a local Apple store, but we don't. If I buy from MacMall or one of the authorized sellers and get Apple Care, won't Apple take care of it?

Yes. Apple will honor the warranty of any new Mac purchased by a authorized reseller. As for Applecare itself, you can purchase that from anyone as long as the copy is new and has never been registered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Duo Core 2 2.16ghz, 2gig Ram, 120 gig HD
I have an apple reseller at my uni! Its staff are mostly other students and service is great if it breaks down in class its good to know tech support is right round the corner. Autherised Dealers are great, just do a search on the forums to just double check and see if any one has had any problems with that particular store! Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

You could always just order Online through the Apple OL store. You could order the ram from Crucial or OWC as previously mentioned and just install it yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.