MY macbook and memory?

Reaction score
I have a 160GB macbook and want to max out the memory as i use it for music and movies, whats the most i can get out of it and how?

Thanks...

OP
C
Reaction score
so take it to 2gb RAM you mean.
WHat do i need to do that?

Is there no way to increase the hard drive size aswell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
the maximum you can increase the SATA hdd ( the hard drive) to is 200gb, personally i would recommend just getting an external hd than upgrading the internal hd as its very pricey for the amount of memory you actually get. External you could get like 500gb for £100 ($200,probably cheaper in USA though, if thats where you live) what Brian said was to increase the RAM to 2gb, this will not increase the hd space of your mac but will make it run at maximum speed, this is not necessary unless you are using professional apps like apperture or are running vista/xp via parallels or bootcamp. Again i would recommend an external hard drive.
hope that helps and good luck
jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
the maximum you can increase the SATA hdd ( the hard drive) to is 200gb

Not quite true. The largest drive you can get straight from Apple is 200GB, you can get a 250GB drive and it will install and work just fine though.

this (maxing out the ram) is not necessary unless you are using professional apps like apperture or are running vista/xp via parallels or bootcamp.

I disagree; my MBP has 2GB and I routinely use over 1GB just with firefox (with a decent number of tabs open), AIM, MSN, YIM and Skype open. In my opinion, 1GB is the bare minimum that any current machine-PC or Mac-should have installed; 2GB is a more realistic minimum amount. At least it is if you intend to actually use the computer to run more than one or two applications at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
I disagree; my MBP has 2GB and I routinely use over 1GB just with firefox (with a decent number of tabs open), AIM, MSN, YIM and Skype open. In my opinion, 1GB is the bare minimum that any current machine-PC or Mac-should have installed; 2GB is a more realistic minimum amount. At least it is if you intend to actually use the computer to run more than one or two applications at a time.

i have 1gb on my MB and it runs fine. i have been running safari (with several tabs open) adium, itunes and photoshop, and it was running fairly well.

::said with no disrespect, just a "letting you know" kinda thing:
as for the OP, when using the term 'memory' when talking about computers. it almost always means the RAM (random access MEMORY) not the amount of space on your hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
i have 1gb on my MB and it runs fine. i have been running safari (with several tabs open) adium, itunes and photoshop, and it was running fairly well.

Could you do me a big favor and get a screencap or something of your memory usage in activity monitor with all that stuff open? I'm really curious to see it.... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
would it be smarter to get a macbook pro with 4gb memory or get a 2gb memory then upgrade it urself?

which would be cheaper?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Apple charges $700 to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB in the MBP. 4GB of compatible RAM that you can install yourself (it's not difficult at all, but it is slightly different than installing desktop RAM) is <$250.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
Could you do me a big favor and get a screencap or something of your memory usage in activity monitor with all that stuff open? I'm really curious to see it.... :)

no problem, actually it was a problem. photobucket wouldn't let me upload anything. got a new account on imagecave ;)

keep in mind i opened a 20-30 layer 250dpi 1280x800 image in photoshop before i took the screenshot, seemed like it wouldn't really count if i just had it open doing nothing.
activitymonitor.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I have a C2D 2.16 MB. It runs 3GB RAM just fine and yes I do notice the difference in performance over 2GB. The OS and CPU are largely responsible for how much addressable space your notebook will support hard disk wise. In theory, there is no reason you couldn't install a 1TB internal HDD if they actually existed. The largest I have heard of becoming available are the 320GB Toshiba drives coming late in 2007.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/21/toshiba/index.php

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.