Mid 2007 Mac Mini; stops responding halfway through restore!

Reaction score
Hi all!.

I have one of the new 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini machines. I have a VERY annoying fault:

When I restore the Mac Mini, using the supplied restore DVDs (I install ALL software, extras etc etc), and then come back after 25 mins or so, to see if I need to insert DVD 2 to continue, THE MAC MINI DOES NOT RESPOND!.

The power light is not "breathing" (pulsating) at this point - it is on SOLID WHITE, but the monitor has gone into standby, and NO amount of mouse moving/keyboard pressing, will make the Mini wake back up, again!.

The only way I have been able to finish the installation is to hold down the power button until it goes off, and then reboot holding [OPTION] key, and then tell Mac Mini to boot from the HDD. The installation then proceeds as per normal, ejecting DVD 1 and asking me to insert DVD 2. Once all has installed, the dear little Mini proceeds to sing and play intro etc etc.

Does anyone have any idea WHY this Mac Mini "sleeps" halfway through the installation from restore DVDs??.

Thanks folks - this is minor, but very annoying!.

#### [EDIT] ####

I did the following - maybe it will resolve this issue, but I won't know for sure, until next time I restore my Mac Mini (and I don't plan on doing that for a while yet)

1/ I reset the PMU (all cables out - wait 10 secs - hold power button down, as power cable is plugged back in, then release power button.)

2/ Next, I powered ON Mac Mini, but CPU fans were spinning like a jet plane about to take off, so...

3/ I rebooted, and did a [CMD]+[OPTION]+P+R to reset PRAM...

4/ The fans were STILL on full throttle, so I shut it down, removed power cable and waited 30 secs. Next, plugged power cable back in, powered ON, and fans were silent again (normal).

I don't know if this has resolved the non-responsive syndrome halfway through restore from the included DVDs, but we shall see.

[PS]

I regard this as a minor issue, however; Apple are superb with end user satisfaction, and QOS, and it sure beats almost slicing your fingers off, digging round inside a tin box in the darkened corner that is the underneath of your desk, whilst trying to release BIOS battery without it flying across the motherboard, spring-loaded style!. PC... UGHHH!.

Long live EFI!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.