• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD--how to burn to an external DVD drive?

Reaction score
I use an external DVD burner on Firewire because my iMac's Superdrive is broken. How do I direct iDVD to burn to the external drive, since it wants to default to the broken Superdrive? I can direct iTunes to burn to the external drive just fine, but I haven't figured out how to manipulate iDVD to do it. No answers contained in iDVD Help. Any assistance? thanks--Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I'm not set up to test this right now, but... I only burn to an external, I always burn to disc image because I usually save them that way. Once I have the image I put a blank disc into my external and select open in disc utility. then drag the image to disc utility and burn.

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that you had to have an Apple Superdrive to use iDVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
My previous post doesn't use iDVD for burning, only to create a disc image which is later burned.

I am now at my desk and have my external Lacie DL with light scribe hooked up. I opened iDVD and opened an old project. I clicked on burn and the message "Choose a DVD Recording Device" "You computer have more that one drive capable of burning DVDs" came up. I select the external and it burns.

OP
P
Reaction score
Great idea. I tried your advice, but no luck--I don't get an option to "choose a device", I'm only ordered to insert a DVD into my Superdrive (which is misaligned and grinds grooves into disks). With iTunes I can burn on my external Lacie because iTunes has an option to pick the default drive. Hmmm... BTW, I'm using iDVD 4.0.1 and OS 10.4.10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked again at iDVD. You can click "file" then "save as disc image..." Then you could use the disc utility to burn the disc. That way you are not using the burn disc button on iDVD.

Reaction score
macbook pro external dvd

Hi, I'm looking to buy an external dvd recorder for my macbook pro, I've never used one before and dont know much about it. Any suggestions on brands/models?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.