Exporting from iPhoto

Reaction score
I am trying to export from iphoto. Once I get around 3GB of pics I backup. This will be my first one on a mac. My plan is to export the 3GB of pics and but leave them in iphoto for viewing. I made a folder called backup in iphoto to keep them organized from my new imports after the backup. So I have the 3GB of pics in a folder in iphoto but I cant get them out now. I tried exporting, burning a dvd, highlighting the 1200 pics and dragging but I get an error with all of them.

I ended up just copying the iphoto library folder but next time I want to backup I will have the old and new backup files in there....I want to only have 3GB backups not 6 next time.

Anyone have any idea how I can backup my pics???? iphoto doesn't seem to like exporting so many pics.

Reaction score
Simply burn your iPhoto Library on A DVD and leave the Library intact.

Thanks

OP
S
Reaction score
Problem is once I pass 5GB I cant burn it anymore. I have started using a program called iphoto library manager. Once my library gets to say 5GB I create a new one and move the old one to an external hardrive. I leave a copy on the computer for viewing as I build up my new one.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
You are making this too complex. I mean, you have an application managing your photo managing software. That's crazy! :)
And you have multiple iPhoto libraries? I'm confused on that point. I thought you wanted to export photos to backup, not libraries.
You now say you have an external drive. Please tell me that it's formatted as HFS+...

OP
S
Reaction score
Pretty much I don't want my iphoto library to exceed 5GB. So what options do I have in iphoto to do this??? Every 5GB I make a new library which I consider a backup. I dont want to end up in say 3 years with an iphoto library thats like 50GB. Id rather have a bunch of 5GB libraries so when I open iphoto its not loading up 50GB's worth of thumbnails and what not...

Maybe this sounds weird....How do you folks organize your libraries.

PS I tried burning a DVD and it gave me an error.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Pretty much I don't want my iphoto library to exceed 5GB. So what options do I have in iphoto to do this??? Every 5GB I make a new library which I consider a backup. I dont want to end up in say 3 years with an iphoto library thats like 50GB. Id rather have a bunch of 5GB libraries so when I open iphoto its not loading up 50GB's worth of thumbnails and what not...

Your options to keep your library small would be to take fewer pictures or set your camera to lower resolution. ;) jk

What's your modus operandi? Do you import straight to iPhoto from your digital camera? Do you delete the photos on your camera at import time? You say you have several libraries, but do you mean albums or events?

Don't worry so much about library size. I'll explain next.

OP
S
Reaction score
I import straight into iphoto and delete off the camera after. What I mean by several libraries is exactly that. I open the library manager and I can select which library I want. Like when I go into the photos folder in finder I have several libraries in there. The only pain is if I want to view pictures from the past I have to open the manager select the library from the past and then launch iphoto.

http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Reaction score
You pose an interesting consideration. I don't think it's an option for me to take shots at a lower rez. I want all my images to be as good as possible, but that might mean, my library will grow to an amazing size years from now. Actually, I think it's about 9GB right now, but I don't bother burning anything to disc. I back up to an external hard drive, and I've just begun uploading all my shots to Flickr. For $25. per year, they offer unlimited uploads at any size image. Seems like a great way to back up, and it's in a remote secure place.

I think...if your hard drive is sufficient, just keep adding to the main library and use an ext drive, and/or a photo site to archive stuff.

Reaction score
How to back up iPhoto Library to a DVD

Simply burn your iPhoto Library on A DVD and leave the Library intact.

Thanks

Could you explain exactly how to backup the iPhoto Library to a DVD? I need about 5 GB to backup the library so I don't want to use CDs.

I've tried and my Mac ejects the DVD+R disk after I put it in the optical reader. It's like "I don't recognize this foreign object." Is there a certain type of DVD disk that one must use? My operating system is Tiger.
Thanks.
nathan

Reaction score
First off...stupid question, but you're sure you have a DVD burning capable drive? If so, and it's capable of double density discs, then you'll need to purchase that type of media. It will store twice as much data as a single, regular DVD. A single sided only holds about 4.4 gb.

I use Toast for all my burning purposes. To find out how to write to DD discs using the Mac's functions, check out the Apple support page and do a search for a tutorial.

Could you explain exactly how to backup the iPhoto Library to a DVD? I need about 5 GB to backup the library so I don't want to use CDs.

I've tried and my Mac ejects the DVD+R disk after I put it in the optical reader. It's like "I don't recognize this foreign object." Is there a certain type of DVD disk that one must use? My operating system is Tiger.
Thanks.
nathan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.