boot up sound

Reaction score
Hi
I just got my new Imac, simply love it... however I can't find how to turn out the boot up sound (plays pretty loud, wakes up everybody in the house when I start it late)

anybody would know either *** to mute it or if I can replace that system sound file with a ''blank'' file?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
As far as I know there is no way to shut it off as it's in the bios. You can turn down the volume when your in OS X before you shut down and that usually turns it down, although I have only tried it in OS 9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you mute your system sound (via the System Preferences) this turns it off. It also turns off ALL sound though unfortunately. You can also reduce the volume by reducing the system sound volume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
Just mute it before you turn it off - that makes it mute on startup. Then you can turn the sound back up for use - just remember to mute it again before shutting down. Or, you could do like I do and never shut your computer down. ^_^

Reaction score
Hold down the "mute" sound key.. Which is F3 when you start up your computer (not sure if this will work with the BT keyboard but worth a try) and it will keep the start up sound from sounding. I always do this when starting up in class just incase I have the sound on or not.. But the real question is why you are shutting down your computer? I just recommend leaving it in sleep, the only time I restart my macs is when they have an update installed other than that they are sleeping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I agree with the above posts, just leave the computer on all the time. It will use very little power in sleep mode and it comes on instantaneously. I am guessing you are coming from the windows world where you have to reboot every few days to maintain stability(most of the time). This is not necessary on a mac. When I switched I was surprised by how stable Mac OS X really is. Good luck with your new mac and enjoy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
gotta say, it's the only thing I don't like about my mac. I know they have had that sound for years, butit would be nice if you could change it to something less... demonic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
A little personal opinion. Not really directly related to solving your problem, but perhaps an alternate way of looking at it....

I *love* that sound. I mistakenly muted my Mac one day (there is a button on my mouse that will do this, and I guess I pushed it by mistake). I hunted around for quite a while to figure what had happened and restore that sound.

As has been mentioned above, Macs have had a startup chime for ever and a day - that chime is part of the "Mac experience". I missed it when it was gone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
While I've had no need to Mute the sound (For some reason I like hearing it... especially more than a Windows XP or Vista startup song) Go by what people are saying to Mute the sound, simply mute it prior to shut down and it shouldn't wake your family members up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
why dont you just sleep your imac ? that way you wont get the sound at 3 am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There is an App that will turn it off, it's been discussed here before.

Reaction score
Split between I-san NE Thailand and Brisbane Austr
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 1.83GHz, superdrive and a 800MHz eMac with terminal video processing problems.
Missing my sound

Hi, I guess I must have done the same as you and now do not hear that reassuring sound on those rare occasions when I have to restart my Mac.

How did you resolve the problem?

I want that sound back

A little personal opinion. Not really directly related to solving your problem, but perhaps an alternate way of looking at it....

I *love* that sound. I mistakenly muted my Mac one day (there is a button on my mouse that will do this, and I guess I pushed it by mistake). I hunted around for quite a while to figure what had happened and restore that sound.

As has been mentioned above, Macs have had a startup chime for ever and a day - that chime is part of the "Mac experience". I missed it when it was gone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.