New camera, lots of zoom, smaller size, I JUST CANT CHOOSE!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So, i have been looking for a camera for a long time, i just cannot choose!
Right now my biggest consideration is the Kodak Z812IS. I tried it, i loved it. Its cheap, and has everything i need. But im still not final.
I really like the Canon digital ELPH series, but those dont offer more than 4x zoom, sadly..........how about the Lumix TZ3? Comments on that?
I would say my budget is less than $300,
I want more than 10x zoom (i will accept 6x and up if the camera suits my needs perfectly)
I NEED some sort of stabilization, my hands shake badly.
I would prefer it to use SD cards (but again, will change)
Zooming in movie mode is a nice feature.
I like optical viewfinders, but can live without.
Needless to say, it needs to have good image quality
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Tanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Also, watch what type of zoom. 4x optical zoom is superior to 10x digital zoom as the optical zoom will zoom in with the lens and digital zoom just zooms in on the picture, so it's not an actual zoom.

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Oh yes, i did forget to mention the zoom type.
My current camera (Samsung Digimax A402), is getting VERY old. When i bought it, it was a great camera, having only 4x digital zoom, its still amazing that it takes good pictures, but im more than ready to step into the optical world :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
Saying you want more than 10X zoom is a selfish thing to me. You're lucky, you'll ,most likely be able to find it for your budget price. As an SLR user, I can say that 10 zoom comes for at least $200 and at most $3,000 for me. But yeah, some cameras come with up to 14X optical zoom (optical, look for optical! digital zoom is crap, forget it exists and if you have it don't use it). Good luck I don't know the point and shoot industry very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The main thing you should worry about is image quality. I recently used a minolta (or was it fuji?) camera with 10x optical zoom. 7 megapixels. But it was totally lacking in image quality. I'd prefer my 3.1megapixel Nikon 3100 any day (now I got a Sony W55...its okay. Nice and slim though)

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
The main thing you should worry about is image quality. I recently used a minolta (or was it fuji?) camera with 10x optical zoom. 7 megapixels. But it was totally lacking in image quality. I'd prefer my 3.1megapixel Nikon 3100 any day (now I got a Sony W55...its okay. Nice and slim though)

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, i did use a fuji recently with 10x optical, it did not seem good.

Out of the Kodak Easyshare Z812IS, Canon Powershot SD850IS, and the Panasonic Lumix TZ-3, which has the best image quality? I have used all of them except the lumix, and i trust Canons image quality, however it only has 4X zoom, and im not really fond of the higher end Canons, the S3 is great, but because of the size i would never end up using it, if there was a smaller alternative to the S3 i would be all for it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i've got a Lumix DMC-TZ1 with a 10x zoom and I find it to be very acceptable for a cheap-ish point and shoot.

you can always check the models you're looking for on flickr as you can search pictures by camera to see what they're capable of.

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Wait,

Just checking up and i came upon the Canon Powershot SX100IS,
although not release until october, it already has a lot going for me, ive known to trust the image quality of Canon. Thats the big thing. It doesnt look all that bad either. Ill wait until its released then go have a look 'in the flesh'. :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say Canon. Didn't like the lumix PQ as much. Not sure about that model though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey tanner! My avatar is the same as yours!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
Hi

Check ou this wensite.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Then look to the left side of the page and choose DAVES PICKS and then choose LONG SHOTS.

The Canon S3 IS is the top choice with 12 times zoom and image stabilization. It comes in under you budget too. Have fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM
canon sd1000 ~$200 3x optical 4x digital zoom nice camera

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
@ SidTurbo,
Well, i was (and maybe still am) considering the S3. However, i would like to look at the SX100IS first, and if i dont like it, the S3 would be my choice. The only reason i didnt like it was because of its obviously (very) bigger size. I wouldnt see myself taking as many pictures (because id have to lug it around), and i dont think it would get as much use. This is one of the main reasons im considering a digital ELPH, but im willing to get a bigger camera if it means better quality. If only canon would release an ELPH with say 6x optical zoom, even if its a little bigger.....-sighs-.

Oh, and does anyone know if the S5 is smaller than the S3?
Just wondering, i can imagine its not, but i dont know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've been looking at getting the Lumix TZ-3 for a while now...
Pros:
- Long zoom
- wide angle (28mm) lens
- Decent movie mode (no zoom whilst in movie mode though)

Cons:
- A bit noisy and a bit agressive with the noise reduction
- No manual shooting mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook CD2.0gz 60gb harddrive, 1.25GB RAM, external 120gb HD, 37" JVC LCD HDTV display via HDMI
I love my Lumix TZ1 .... I have taken some very nice shots with it ... Almost every shots turns out quite nicely. The zoom with stabilization is very good but you may find yourself wanted at least a small tripod if you are shaky.
It has some good features and once you are used to using it in manual mode your pics will really start to improve.

That was was general experience.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting the Lumix TZ-3 for a while now...

- Decent movie mode (no zoom whilst in movie mode though)

really? my TZ1's zoom works beautifully when in movie mode. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I have a Kodak Z710, and it is 7.1mp with a 10x optical zoom. For the price I paid, this camera is amazing.

However, this is just to tie me over till I can afford a DSLR next year.

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Well,
Thanks for your replies everyone!
So, from what im gathering, here are the models im considering:
Kodak Z812IS
Panasonic Lumix TZ-3
Canon Powershot SX100IS
Canon Powershot S3 (or S5 it is smaller as long as the image quality is the same or better),
sad to say i eliminated the Digital ELPH series out of my consideration....
So,
here are my thoughts,
im kinda nervous about the Kodak, as i have tried many of the lower end kodaks out there, and i found they are horrible (my opinion only).
But i used the Z712 and loved it, and the Z812 cant be worse, can it?
the Lumix:
its smallest, that a plus, image quality is great from what ive read.
I still need to go try that out before i rule that out.
Powershot SX100,
havent tried it. Basically this is a big risk at ths point, im basically going by the specs, but i know its a Canon, so it should have great image quality, but again, im definately trying that out before i buy.
S3(or S5),
WOW. thats all i have to say. Image quality wise-id chose this over the Kodak. But, its huge! I know it seems like im chosing size over image quality, but i think i might use it less since its so big. But, since it has such good image quality, i could actually use it more. I have only used it once, i need to go back and try that out again.

So really, i could buy any of these and be confident that im getting a great camera, but i would always be wondering if i chose the BEST one overall.
I think that the S3 and SX100IS are definately on a higher pedestal than the others.
What do you think?
Looking now , the SX100IS has no optical viewfinder, but it doesnt matter to me. Just waiting for some reviews of it to come out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I am interested in the results of this topic too. As I'm in the market for a camera too. With roughly the same specs Tanner wants. SO an answer to him will help me out too.

But I have to agree with you all that a higher megapixel rating of a camera doesn't always equal better picture quality. I learnt that from my research.

And btw I am a total camera novice. Well sort of. I understand all about cameras and how they work and what they produce from all the image editing I do. But I've never actually owned a camera. So this will be my first one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.