NTFS IDE drive and Mac pro

Reaction score
Hi all

Work bought me a new Mac Pro - 2.66Ghz Quad Core - thanks Boss :D

I have a 250Gb NTFS format IDE 3.5" drive that I've taken out of the old PC - and it has about 150Gb of data that I need to get onto the Mac Pro somehow.

The guy who installed the new beast for us says the drive won't physically fit into the Mac pro.

He says the Mac Pro should read the NTFS drive ok but won't write to it - which is fine - I just need to get the data off.

I've tried connecting it via USB using an "Easy IDE" USB converter - but the Mac Pro doesn't see it.

Any ideas?

Ta :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Why will it not physically fit? Is it IDE rather than SATA ?? Or is it an earlier SATA drive that had the connectors in a non standard position?

Can you not just fit it into a PC and connect the two computers together with a cross over cable?

External IDE or SATA enclosure should work - it did for me

OP
-Oy-
Reaction score
It's IDE.

The "Easy IDE" device I have is basically a temporary enclosure and connects via USB -but my Mac Pro doesn't see it.

It's looking like I may have to track down a PC to get the data off :(

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
The USB encosure method should definitely work, I use this all the time. Click the Apple menu and choose About this Mac, then click the More Info button. When the app appears have a look in the USB section and see if the device is being recognised.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.