This airport or that airport?

Reaction score

hey guys!!

I've got soo much info all about an airport on this forum but now , while lookin on the apple store site.. i'm confused on which airport i should get for my macbook? there are AirPort Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet, AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes, AirPort Extreme 802.11n* Enabler for Mac, AirPort Extreme Card.. which of these are really necessary? i just would like to use my adsl internet connection on the macbook.

Thankzz

Ciaoz :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The airport express should be enough. Your macbook already has an airport card inside. If its a new macbook, then it will already have 'n' enabled.

As for the airport extreme/express debate, I think the express should be fine though limited in range. So if you want to sit outside at a distance, then the extreme is better. otherwise, for close range the express should do fine. Though I expect apple to release an update for the express...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
Airport Extreme is very good. Broad range, very solid connectivity...easy to set up. That should do it for you. If you have a computer that's "n" enabled, you'll connect faster too.

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
The airport express should be enough. Your macbook already has an airport card inside. If its a new macbook, then it will already have 'n' enabled.

As for the airport extreme/express debate, I think the express should be fine though limited in range. So if you want to sit outside at a distance, then the extreme is better. otherwise, for close range the express should do fine. Though I expect apple to release an update for the express...

So you suggest an airport express. but will i be able to use it in my appartment (and when i'll get my '' big mansion '' i'll get the better airport) Cause the others' suggest the airport extreme which cost more and i'm not sure if it's necessary cause i'll only use it for the internet with my macbook --i don't have stuff with high technology using wi-fi music and ecc. lol

Limited in range? does tat mean it has a smaller wireless zone? wow !! how do you become such an expert in the apple world? i'll take ages to be one!! :D

ciaoz

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
thanks pballa2099 for ya advice!

PeterC4 thansk for the explanation . what does (computer that's "n" enabled) mean? if i get a new macbook it will be in right?

Thanks

ciaoz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wireless N is the new specification for Wifi. It has a broader range (zone) and faster speeds. All the new apple computers are 'n' enabled.

The Airport extreme is "n" enabled while the Express is not. It still runs on the b/g specification.

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
Wireless N is the new specification for Wifi. It has a broader range (zone) and faster speeds. All the new apple computers are 'n' enabled.

The Airport extreme is "n" enabled while the Express is not. It still runs on the b/g specification.

Cool!! you've really made me understand the clear picture! thanks so in the end.. i think airport express is good for me.. as i will only use the net at home .. but does the speed really get effected? cause i have 6mb adsl line.. how roughly will my speed be with the airport express?

thanks

ciaoz:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
You won't notice a difference browsing the internet. The differnce between n and b/g will only be apparent during wireless file transfer to an external drive connected to your "n" base station.

IMO...Apple should have upgraded the Express to n/b/g with the release of the new Extreme Base Station. It really doesn't make any sense....in order to expand a network or use Airtunes with a new AEBS....you have to set the Extreme Base Station to b/g compatibility in order for the Express to be able to join the network, therby reducing transfer speed to an external drive.

Of course you could create a seperate network with the Express...but that means you have to switch back and forth to accomplish tasks...in other words, you can't be on the internet (through AEBS on "n") and stream music at the same time.

Good thinking Apple

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
You won't notice a difference browsing the internet. The differnce between n and b/g will only be apparent during wireless file transfer to an external drive connected to your "n" base station.

IMO...Apple should have upgraded the Express to n/b/g with the release of the new Extreme Base Station. It really doesn't make any sense....in order to expand a network or use Airtunes with a new AEBS....you have to set the Extreme Base Station to b/g compatibility in order for the Express to be able to join the network, therby reducing transfer speed to an external drive.

Of course you could create a seperate network with the Express...but that means you have to switch back and forth to accomplish tasks...in other words, you can't be on the internet (through AEBS on "n") and stream music at the same time.

Good thinking Apple

Thanks Bear Hunter for ya info. so you are trying to tell me that if i use the airport express for the my adsl internet, the speed won't be really affected.? cause i'm only interested in using the net.. that's about it for now.
what do you mean by ''file transfer to an external drive connected to your "n" base station.''? what is an external drive?

thanks ciaoz

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there is one more thing that 'n' offers, and that is range. The range of an 'n' card is wider than a b/g...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
Thanks Bear Hunter for ya info. so you are trying to tell me that if i use the airport express for the my adsl internet, the speed won't be really affected.? cause i'm only interested in using the net.. that's about it for now.
what do you mean by ''file transfer to an external drive connected to your "n" base station.''? what is an external drive?

thanks ciaoz

:D

ciaoz,

By external drive I mean something like this connected to the Extreme Base Station for conducting backups or storing files you don't want resident on your internal drive:

p1s.jpg

Yeah...I didn't notice any difference in internet speed on b/g versus "n", but you will get more range on the Extreme Base Station as mentioned.

Oh..and FYI, I found out how to keep the Extreme Base Station on "n" only while simultaneously using the Express to stream music:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78548

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
ciaoz,

By external drive I mean something like this connected to the Extreme Base Station for conducting backups or storing files you don't want resident on your internal drive:

p1s.jpg

Yeah...I didn't notice any difference in internet speed on b/g versus "n", but you will get more range on the Extreme Base Station as mentioned.

Oh..and FYI, I found out how to keep the Extreme Base Station on "n" only while simultaneously using the Express to stream music:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78548

Wow!! you even got a photo example !! thanks! yeah i do have one but it's only usb connected.. i seldom use it. so it's in a box and whenever i need to save something important , i use it..

''you don't want resident on your internal drive'' what ya mean by that?

Ok.. i finally think i've made a decision. it's gonna be an airport express. costing even less !! ;D

& tHANkss for the link ya gave me of how to keep the Extreme Base Station on "n" only while simultaneously using the Express to stream music.. it will be really handy if i get the extreme base in the future!!

Thankss

ciaoz :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FYI, I don't think you can put a HDD on an airport express. Maybe its possible, but the Apple website makes no mention of attaching a HDD, while they do say the same is possible with the Extreme.

As for 'resident on your internal drive', he means stuff you don't want to keep on your computer HDD. Could be unwanted less used data or could be backups. Its not advisable to keep data backups on the computer itself cause both might blow up on day.

OP
Funky_Adry
Reaction score
FYI, I don't think you can put a HDD on an airport express. Maybe its possible, but the Apple website makes no mention of attaching a HDD, while they do say the same is possible with the Extreme.

As for 'resident on your internal drive', he means stuff you don't want to keep on your computer HDD. Could be unwanted less used data or could be backups. Its not advisable to keep data backups on the computer itself cause both might blow up on day.

Thanks.. i don't think i will be needing a HDD usage with the airport express for now.. i can still use it connecting in to the computer using the USB port , right? if yes.. then i'm ok.

i seldom do backups on my external HD.. i just save it all up on the computer.. you think i should save em externally?

Thanks soo much for ya help!!

ciaoz :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course you should save them externally. Time machine will only backup to an external disk. Keeping backups on your main disk is pretty pointless cause if the HDD crashes, its all gone.

Of course, an external disk attached to the USB/Firewire would be just perfect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.