Accessing my Mac @ Home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I have a Powermac G4 running OS 10.3 at home.... Is there a secure way for me to access the Mac using my Windows machine at work???

I'm looking for a good robust solution that is easy on price... if it comes free... all the better... LOL ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
I only have one that is not easy on the price...

Sadly this is one of those things that is free in Windows XP Pro and Vista Professional editions. You would use Microsoft's RDP client for Windows or RDC for Mac to connect to Apple Remote Desktop.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I only have one that is not easy on the price...

Sadly this is one of those things that is free in Windows XP Pro and Vista Professional editions. You would use Microsoft's RDP client for Windows or RDC for Mac to connect to Apple Remote Desktop.

My PC at work is a HP Pentium 4 with Windows Xp pro Sp2 on it... My workplace runs a Domain...

My mac at home is a Powermac G4 400 Mhz with OS 10.3.9.
My home internet is shared through a router and a workgroup...

I need to access my Mac at home using my Windows machine at work....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
Do you need access to the Mac mouse and screen (Apple remote desktop) or just the data on the Mac? The later should be possible without the expensive Apple remote Desktop software.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd like to have complete control of the Mac... if it mean the screen and mouse... yeah...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
I'd like to have complete control of the Mac... if it mean the screen and mouse... yeah...

Ok I found another one, search google for Timbuktu for Mac or Tumbuktu PRO Mac and you will find some articles on it. Still not free though.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks dude.... Will give it a shot

Ever heard of "Log me in"

A friend of mine suggested it... and it seems to be free....

However their software for Mac is still in the preview stage...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
Thanks dude.... Will give it a shot

Ever heard of "Log me in"

A friend of mine suggested it... and it seems to be free....

However their software for Mac is still in the preview stage...

I use logMeIn almost every day in my job as in IT consultant. I have not tried any of the Mac versions but would be really excited to hear from you if you try it. I know the PC version is great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
LogMeIn is flawless, but the performance is not that great.

You should turn on ARD on the mac, and allow windows guests. Then on the PC run TighVNC to connect. All free. All good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac

You should turn on ARD on the mac, and allow windows guests. Then on the PC run TighVNC to connect. All free. All good.

ARD is free on the Mac? Hmmm they were selling bundles of it in the Apple store. Are there different versions for business / IT department use and home use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
ARD is free on the Mac? Hmmm they were selling bundles of it in the Apple store. Are there different versions for business / IT department use and home use?

The ARD server for mac is free, but only works with AppleRemoteDesktop client on your 10.3 system. On 10.4 ARD added the ability to connect to any client.

Download vine server for you mac, link below.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxvnc/

Download Ultravnc on your pc:
ultravnc.com

On your home network open the port you specified in vine server. That is if you have a router.

Use Ultra vnc to connect to you mac using your external ip address and port # specified by vine vnc:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port#

If you don't have a router behind your modem just enter your ip address without a port #.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

He said he's running 10.3 and I don't think 10.3 has that ard function to allow windows guests. I'm pretty sure that 10.3 only allows ARD client to connect to it.

I may be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Picture1-3.png

Auto usually doesn't work for me so I would manually specify a port. Set as 9090 on your Vine Server and on your Port Forward.
787Picture1.png

ultravnc-rc.png
Connect by typing here Ip address plus port #
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:9090

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use logMeIn almost every day in my job as in IT consultant. I have not tried any of the Mac versions but would be really excited to hear from you if you try it. I know the PC version is great!

Tried it out.... unfortunately is does not work with my version of OS... It works for those who have Tiger onwards...
Another flaw is that its still in the testing stage... no final release has yet been delivered...
You can however download and install a preview version

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.