No admin account found

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Hey, I'm new to the forum (Will give you guys the standard introduction soon) so I've been trying to find this one on my own (I know that I'll probably get one or two "It's here, just look for it" otherwise :))
But here's my problem.
As i forgot my admin password i used my startup disc to reset password, and thought I was doing great, until I found that the user was gone. I go back to installer and cannot find a user at all, (only had that one, the admin).
Any thoughts on what i should do.
I tried this thing that someone suggested, to add another administrator by going into the root system and tricking the system into thinking it was the virgin startup but without reformating the system, but i am not getting through to the final step (choosing password and user name)

Help... :)

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Hanin_Shakrah.

Sounds to me like you changed your user account name manually. And it's not a very good idea to go and mess in root if you're not very very very sure of what you are doing there or aren't tech-savvy. In Unix, root can murder your whole System in a flash.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
aaah. Are you telling me I've messed up totally, or can i fix this somehow?

Can I run run run down and transfer the files in my computer using
a firewire

M

MacHeadCase

I would suggest that you make a backup of all your stuff if you can, by using FireWire Target Disk mode if you have another Mac and reinstall the OS by wiping the hard drive (Erase and Install method).

With the info given, it's really hard to pinpoint how the problem could be fixed. One thing is for sure, it sounds pretty messed up.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
I ran like the wind (imagine that) and am now in the process of copying my stuff to back up drive. No more fixing little annoying things in my computer anymore. it only leads to people unfixing my fixes. Thanks mr HeadCase.

M

MacHeadCase

LOL

Alright a fresh new beginning then! And that is Ms HeadCase (I'm female). ;)

As for installing the updates, use as much as possible the Combo Updates and while the installing process is underway don't use the Mac or open any applications, just let the updates do their thing and you should be a-ok after!

Let us know how it went, ok? Good luck! :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Combo updates?

Yeah, I'll leave my mac the **** alone and let it install in peace and quiet.

And Ms HeadCase. I salute you and would offer you my first born son, if i had one. Thanks for the save. And the cheers! Will let you know how it ends

M

MacHeadCase

ROTFL

You're a real hoot! Keep it up and come back often! You're quite refreshing! :D

Seriously, I think all will go well. Just launch Software Update in the System Preferences once you have installed the fresh OS and let her rip!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.