• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Travelling with an iMac

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a brand new 2.0Ghz iMac on order.

Every 2 weeks I travel home for the weekend, and will sometimes need to take it with me (I couldn't buy a Macbook, I needed the space and power of the iMac).

I will be taking it on a 1 hour train journey, and getting picked up by car at the other end.

Is the best method of transportation to take it in the box it is supplied in? Does it have a carry handle?

Thanks in advance!
J.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
This is the only thing that I know of that's specifically designed to do what you want to do, and I don't know how good it is:
http://www.ilugger.com/

but it's worth looking into.

Look at the ad at the top of the page! ;)

The ads change dynamically. The ad that you see may not be the add that I or anyone else sees. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
The box isn't real convenient to lug it around it as it doesn't really reseal properly but yes it does have a carry handle. If your prepared to spend the money the iLugger looks good, I will probably be getting one myself as I 'go home' myself about once every 4 weeks but by car.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I took my iMac back and forth between home and college last year every weekend. I used the original box. It worked fairly well, until the tab got too worn, and when I picked it up, the tab would pop out causing the box to open as far as the handle would allow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I would purchase the iLugger case thing. I would rather use that than using the box that came with the iMac. It'll be like a big advertisement to everyone that I am holding an expensive computer for you to come and steal from me. :p

Reaction score
I would purchase the iLugger case thing. I would rather use that than using the box that came with the iMac. It'll be like a big advertisement to everyone that I am holding an expensive computer for you to come and steal from me. :p

Good point!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.