How's Coverflow, etc. on your Classic??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The 16GB on the Touch just isn't going to cut it. I was thinking of getting a Classic, so I went to try one. Some very annoying problems right from the jump. When I would try to back out of a selection to a menu or to the main menu, it would take 2-3 seconds for it to take the action. Also, when I tried Coverflow I found pretty much unusable. It was extremely laggy, it would skip like 5 albums at a time and the actual pictures would take some time to load. I would never use coverflow if I had one of these.

It seemed to be the same story on several models. In comparison, the Nanos worked great. I asked one of the sales guys if it's because of the software or the hard drive. He just stammered something about Apple sending out software updates to fix any problems. I wanted to smack him and say software won't make the hard drive faster, but I just walked away instead.

Anyway, I wanted to see if this is how they're all running or maybe the store models were crappy. I have a feeling it's the hard drive causing problems though. I just can't believe Apple would put Coverflow and new interface on the iPod when the hard drive cripples it so badly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Yes, the firmware upgrade improved performance. There are a few pauses while the hard disk spins up, usually swapping between big sets of data like movies or coverflow, but it's perfectly usable.

Reaction score
It's not a feature that I really care for on my iPod but I do use it on my iPhone all the time. When I put music on the iPhone, I make sure the cover art is all there.

I tried the coverflow for the first time last night since I got my classic on Wednesday and it seemed to work just as good as it does on the iPhone. I don't have covers for all my cds and I really don't care if I do get them all for songs on my classic. I just like to have all my music with me at work since 90% of my time there is in my car.

I do love my classic! It's a great iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I agree, I think Coverflow is actually useful on the iPhone, whereas it serves purely an aesthetic purpose on the Classic and Nano.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
hmm, maybe the Apple store just didn't bother getting the floor models updated. The guy I asked was just a twerp.

A funny thing I found when trying out the Touch is that when there's nothing plugged into the headphone jack (like the floor models) it won't actually play any media. Luckily the Classic right next to it had earphones, so I borrowed them to get it to work. It took me and a store employee a couple minutes to realize why it wouldn't play. I wonder if everyone trying the floor models thought the Touches are defective?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.