Partitioning on mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
I want to use Windows XP and Mac OS X alongside each other with boot camp. I need the Windows partition to be NTFS to support large files but I also need a shared partition that both Mac and Win can read and write to -- Fat32. However, Boot Camp only lets me make 2 paritions (one hfs and one ntfs or fat). Ive tried my favorite partitioning program Partition Magic but it wont start (on boot camp) because it cant assign a drive letter to either the hfs partition or the other 200mb Mac thing on there, and crashes. Paragon starts but wont let me do anything, same for iPartition on OS X. I made a BootIt CD, which works, but wont recognise any free unallocated space so I cant make any paritions with that either.

The main problem is I need to make an Extended parititon in order to hold the two new Windows partitions, or else it wont work. Does anyone know of a good boot cd that I can use besides BootIt or Partition Magic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' MBP Santa Rosa, 2.2 , 8600M GT, 120GB 5400RPM, DL DVD+/-RW SuperDrive
You can try using iPartition for Mac but you MIGHT have to pay for it = )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
What you could do is, while doing a bootcamp setup, allocate like 50GB for bootcamp and the rest for OS X. Then during the XP installation, delete the 50GB partition to create unpartitioned space. Then create two new partitions, one 30GB for your xp, and the 20GB for the Fat32. These figures should be replaced to whatever sizes you want your partitions to be.

Only don't delete your OS X partition by mistake..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.