How to: Mount an external usb hard drive?

Reaction score
Hi all,
just switched to the new Imac. This machine is amazing - I'm never going back to windows!
However, I have an external hard drive which I m trying to mount on the new mac using a usb enclosure. I connect the drive but I can't "see" it anywhere (desktop or disk utility) any ideas?
Complete newby - so please help me!
OS X 10.4.10

Reaction score
Does it need external power? Maybe it's not formatted (or it's formatted to something unusual that the OS can't read) and so there's no volume to mount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Does it need external power? Maybe it's not formatted (or it's formatted to something unusual that the OS can't read) and so there's no volume to mount.

A different file system wouldn't account for the drive not mounting.

Anyway, like thebrza mentioned, is there a power cable that you forgot to insert? Perhaps try another cable (it sounds weird, but it actually happened to me yesterday; I couldn't get my external drive to work when I never had any problems before, but I decided to swap the cable and bam, it magically starts to work)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I was just looking at buying an external hard drive... it seems that they're plug-in-and-play for Windows and Linux but Macs (often) need drivers... so that might be the problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was just looking at buying an external hard drive... it seems that they're plug-in-and-play for Windows and Linux but Macs (often) need drivers... so that might be the problem.

Can you show me a URL where it states that OSX needs USB drivers for external drives? I have never seen that in the years I have been using Macs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Do you mean a power or data cable?

The same disk works with xp but not mac. It is powered up of course.

Any ideas? Anything else i could do? Maybe connect it with my pc and then create a network between my pac and my pc and then get them through xp....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
on Mac OS X you don't need drivers either

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Does it show up in disk utility?

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app

Reaction score
If I recall correctly a different file system CAN affect a Macs ability to read or detect disks if previously formatted and/or partitioned on a windows PC. If the USB disk works on an XP computer check to see if it is a Fat 16, Fat 32 or NTFS system. Whatever it is currently partitioned as (and assuming it is blank or you have the data on it backed up) reformat it to another file system and try that in the Mac. Once it is visible use disk utility to format it for the Mac if necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.