Ex-PC users: What influenced you to consider and (if applicable) buy an Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
For me, it was the magazine iCreate. I'd heard about iPods but didnt know too much about them, and when i was in the local newsagents buying a magazine, i saw issue 5 of iCreate, with the mini ipods on the cover, it was this that struck me so much, how clean the design of those ipods were. So i read the mag, and on remembering when i used macs at college years back and having a play with photoshop on some old g3 powermacs at my old workplace(beige and the blue and white models), i thought to myself how the **** did i miss apple out of my life? and i almost got an imac around 5 years ago, the red version but it fell through for some reason. On reading iCreate more, i marvelled at the iMac, the Powerbooks, iBooks, etc, even though i knew they were out there i didnt take much notice until i kept looking at all the ads in the magazine.

So i decided to look around at specs, buy different mac user magazines, check out my friends macs fully, and go onto the Apple website everyday and look at my future dream machine, an 12" iBook maxed out. But for some reason i held out buying the iBook, i dont know why, but then Apple upgraded both the iBook and Powerbook lines, and i realised that by spending a little more money, i could have a 12" Powerbook w/Superdrive and get a 1gig stick of memory. So i did go out and get one in the end, and i'm more than pleased with it.

I still use my Acer Laptop almost everyday, mostly coz i use certain apps that is not available for macs, but hopefully one day i'll be able to use my Powerbook for everything. Too bad i'm planning to move to Australia, i was going to get a G5 Powermac for xmas, but by the time i'll get settled, maybe there might be a G6 Powermac, hehe. :D

OP
V

vuschejan

Well, I didnt like ad ware and spyware. My best friend bought a power book and i just fell in love with the operating system. I worked my butt off for half a year. I was going to buy a power book then i thought... Why do i need to spend the extra money for stuff that would work just as well on an ibook.... Now i like the powerbook but actually prefer my 12 inch ibook (maybe because i actually own it but i dont knwo :))

OP
N

natomui

sirlan said:
I was fed up with Windows, adware/spyware, webpage hijacks, reboots, service packs and new service packs for those service packs, driver incompatibilities, etc. Basically, I was fed up with all the MS BS.
Mac just works.

Yeah, basically I was fed up with the lack of winblows development, the necessity on a winblows machine to have internet exploder (although I use Mozilla Firefox), and yes, the service packs and patches. If they had built a stable system in the first place, the need for service packs would be few and far between - but like most M$ products, they just slapped something together and waited for the money to roll in. This is why I switched.

OP
A

adamburgess

Hi. I started on Macs with a Graphics Program when most computers were just about manging GREEN SCREEN and a render of a photo would take all night at school. That's when I thought: yeah macs rule.

OP
M

Mariande

I was just recently converted to the "dark-side" as we refer to mac. I have been a PC man forever, I built my last PC for film editing.
My G5 came in the mail today.
j

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am confused. If Mac is the dark side, PCs are the dark side and M$ is the dark side. Then I must assume that we are on the dark side, if the above it true.

OP
M

Matt

I think he means he was a Mac user, then switched to the PC side, then got a G5 in the mail the day he wrote it :)

OP
J

jaetique

I'm typing this using my first iBook. It's sweeeeeet! :p Honestly, I'm so pleased with it. I've been a PC user since I started computing and this is a welcome change. There's a lot less hassle in general I think. And its design elements are really functional. I'm impressed. Glad I switched.

OP
C

chronogoof89

When I was 6 or 7 I guess, my mom was a computer teacher. Over the summer she brought home a (somewhat out of date) Apple IIe to mess around with. I guess like the next summer she brought home an early Macintosh desktop comp. So those were the first computers I used. Then the dark ages.... My family's first computer was a Compaq Presario something or other. 100mhz. It ran ok for like 1 year. Of course I was happy with it, I could play games! Then it had a bunch of problems. It got fixed, but after another year it was just too slow for the average software at the time. After a year or so of that we got a top-of-the-line Gateway tower Select 1000 I think it was, with Windows 98 (not SE). It was 1ghz, 256mb RAM, later upgraded to 512mb (didn't do crap). It was good for the rare game I played. By this time it was used mostly for the internet, and I guess all the spyware, adware, virii, etc - bogged it down. It was never right now matter how many ReFormats. It was **** to get any USB device to work. It was **** to get any hardware to work. It was slower and slower. Constantly locking up for no reason. It took forever to start because it had like a zillion programs set to run on startup, and I didn't know what they were, and it was impossible to get rid of all of them. At this point my mom brought home (from a different school) an (old) iMac. It was nice. It had a clean HD, as it was already re-formatted for the next year, so it was like brand new. Despite the processor speed being far slower than the Gateway it was way faster at everything. the Cable modem and all the stuff I had to mess with drivers with for the PC was all 1second plug and go. It was trendy, simple, easy to use, and pretty powerful! struggled with the Gateway for another year until the HDD crashed with 4-5GB of my music on it. So, I worked from an old PC laptop that was my dad's old one at 100mhz. It sucked. I;m not even addressing it it wa so bad. Time came for me to get a college computer. I saved up and bought a Powerbook G4. 15in 1.25Ghz, 512mb RAM, Superdrive. Its so flawless and awesome, so fast, simple, and sexy (espeically with my new wallpaper :eek: Tara Reid). Anway, I guess mostly I was sick and tired of PCs, but if it wasn't for a combination of the other things I would have just tried to deal with it....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.