Monitor question, I need help

C

ClearcutZ

I am getting a dual Powermac G5 and have a question. Can I get any monitor (CRT or LCD) and expect it to work with the Powermac. Sorry for the really basic question but this will be my first Mac and I don't want to blow a couple hundred dollars on a monitor I can't use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
The powermac comes with dual display support, with one plug for an ADC display and another for a DVI. Most CRTs are VGA so you'd need a DVI to VGA adapter if you wanted to use one.

OP
C

ClearcutZ

muso said:
The powermac comes with dual display support, with one plug for an ADC display and another for a DVI. Most CRTs are VGA so you'd need a DVI to VGA adapter if you wanted to use one.

thank you. i just wanted to know in case i dont get an apple lcd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
If you don't get an Apple display, and do want dual displays you'll need an ADC to DVI converter too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Sorry, I believe the new displays are only DVI and have separate cables to carry USB/Firewire connections.

OP
C

CaptainMack

you are correct. they did this so you could use the moniters w/ any computer

OP
L

llaamaboy

ClearcutZ said:
I am getting a dual Powermac G5 and have a question. Can I get any monitor (CRT or LCD) and expect it to work with the Powermac. Sorry for the really basic question but this will be my first Mac and I don't want to blow a couple hundred dollars on a monitor I can't use.

Yes... Im pretty sure. I am looking at the G5 D2G and was planning on using a CRT for a while. Am pretty sure they come with and adaptor for VGA type monitors. But then, heck, my wife came home with a 20 " Apple Display the work gave her, so I will probably get stuck with her 19" Viewsonic FP. Life is just good some times.

A quick look on the apple.com site will confrim .... ;)

OP
K

Kim

The G5 systems come bundled with the DVI to VGA adapter standard so you can hook it up to either a CRT or LCD out of the box. I have a Crt 21" sony pro, because they are much better for graphics and video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.