Macbook Pro screen dimming problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
I just bought a new MBP the other day and im having a little issue with he screen dimming. After a couple minutes of sitting idle, the screen goes from full brightness to a very dim state. I have unchecked the option to dim the screen in the system preferences/energy saver options, but it still does it. How can i prevent it from doing this??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
The screen will dim if it is not touched for a few minutes, that is normal. However, if it dims while you are using it, then check if the power cable is completely in the socket. If the light on the charger is green, then it is charging and the screen should not go dim.

Reaction score
in the energy menu, there are option settings for when the power cord is being used and when it is not. make sure you adjust both. if you turn them all the way up, the computer will not dim or turn off unless you close the laptop or shut it down manually. hope this helps and doesnt confuse you more, im really sleepy right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Sounds like a bug, might want to call apple and see if you can't get a new machine.

Reaction score
Macbook Pro screen dimming

Hey, its not a bug, I had the same issue. Go to system preferences>Displays>on the bottom you will notice "Auto adjust brightness as ambient light changes" this will solve your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Hey, its not a bug, I had the same issue. Go to system preferences>Displays>on the bottom you will notice "Auto adjust brightness as ambient light changes" this will solve your problem.

I second that.

Also go into Energy Saver and click options uncheck automatically reduce brightness before display sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MBP 2.26, 2008 MB Aluminum 2.4
wow had the same issue and thanks for the fix.....i really feel stupid

jkj

Reaction score
I have to use Applecare

I called Applecare and found out after doing the PRAM reset and the SMC reset, the computer still dims itself a few notches when I wave my hand in front of the camera.

I have seen the same problem I am having on other forums, so I thought I would post here, that I found out I have to use my Applecare plan at an authorized store, and probably need some hardware replaced.

Once the settings above were changed and the two different resets done, it should have solved the problem. This is why it's most likely a hardware issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4Ghz, 250HDD, 4Gb RAM, o/s 10.6.4 -:- iPod Touch, 32Gb, O/S 4.0.2 (used mostly as a PDA)
@jcj0417
@TheInvisibleMan

Cheers for the tips ..... worked for this here newbie :)

Dave B.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.