How do I force quit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2.4ghz, 2GB/320GB
I have a firefox page that is not responding AT ALL. I've tried Command Q. I don't know how to do all those fancy symbols that the Apple menu tells me to do to Force Quit.

The rest of the computer and apps work fine, and I needed to open up another firefox window. I don't really want to control-alt-delete, I have a feeling that's not what I want.

Should I just shut 'er down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
To force quit, go to the dock (bottom of screen) hold down the Firefox logo, you should be given an option to force quit.
Hope I could help.

M

MacHeadCase

Command + Option + Escape keys will bring up (most of the time) the Force Quit window.

Reaction score
There is a thing called "Activity Monitor" which is the Mac equivalent or greater than of "Task Manager" from Windoze.

Launch if from Dock or press Command + Space and search for it.

Or you can just right-click on Firefox from the Dock and click on "force quit".

OP
smallvillefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I did the command-option-escape. It closed it down. Upon doing that, I realized the problem was that my son had been using Safari, not Firefox. No wonder holding down the Firefox logo wasn't working! But thanks, I'll remember that little tidbit for if it ever happens again!

OP
smallvillefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And third, go up to the Apple icon, scroll down to Force Quit.

I had tried the Apple icon, but the entire screen wasn't responding, I had a little rainbow circle even up there.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone! :D

Reaction score
Force quit?

I have a new mac book pro and after trying all the various connections still cannot force quit anything. Just have a swirling color ball. What to do?

Reaction score
Force quit?

Tried all suggestions. (not 'connections', that was auto-correct that did that!)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Option+Command+Escape should bring up a force quit window. If not, open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities), find the application in the list and push the Quit Process button in the toolbar.

C

chas_m

If you are getting a swirling beachball no matter WHAT you do, the best thing to do is walk away for a while. Like 20 minutes.

If it's still doing that when you come back, only THEN would I suggest you press and hold the power button for four seconds. This WILL shut the machine off.

Upon restarting I would recommend running your favourite utility program (OnyX or Maintenance or Applejack suggested) to prevent directory damage (forced shutoffs are never a good thing).

Reaction score
I normally do this... open terminal in Applications...
type top
look for the app you want to kill and remember the numbers before the app name (PID numbers)
type q
type kill -9 PID
PID is the app ID that you want to kill...

hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Command + Option + Escape

The order of the symbols in the menu is Option Command Escape, just so you get those straight. :)

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum. Did you notice that the thread to which you responded was 5 years old? The date of the post is on the bar above the post itself, if you missed it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the forum. Did you notice that the thread to which you responded was 5 years old? The date of the post is on the bar above the post itself, if you missed it.

He was a spammer and has been banned. Didn't you notice the link he had in his reply? One of the ways spammers get their act in is to reply to an old post and add a link to their advertisement. ;)

M

MacInWin

I don't look at links in replies because I don't click on links in posts, ever. So they end up being "invisible" to me. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb

Well, we are asked to search for previous answers! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
He was a spammer and has been banned. Didn't you notice the link he had in his reply? One of the ways spammers get their act in is to reply to an old post and add a link to their advertisement. ;)

Ah! I wondered why the post was gone.

I don't look at links in replies because I don't click on links in posts, ever. So they end up being "invisible" to me. :)
Same here, for the most part. Time, time...

Well, we are asked to search for previous answers! ;D
Good point!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.