G3 Wallstreet: erratic behaviour after HD Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi guys,
A couple of days ago, a friend of mine gave me her old PB as a gift (she swithed to Dell)... it had a 4GB HD (OS 8.1) and 160mb RAM... I had a couple of sodimms lying around and upgraded to 384mb and a 40GB HD from a dead iBook. So, I popped in the memory and the HD and everything seemed fine. I decided to upgrade to OS X, and the problems started.

OS X (10.1) installs fine and runs fine. But when the computer goes to sleep, it never wakes up again. I've read about this problem in several sites, and the solution is to apply a magnetic shield on the new HD to fool the magnetic sleep switch... I worked around it placing a tiny magnet over the sensor, and the computer works perfectly, even going to sleep; as long as you don't close the lid. The moment you close it, the computer goes to sleep, won't wake up even with the magnet work-around... I have to reset it with the key combo, and when I turn it on, I get the disk with the question mark... If I boot with the CD and reinstall OS X, everything is fine until you close the lid... and the problem repeats itself.

Any ideas of how could I fix this problem once and for all?

Thanks,
Fred.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
They might be firmware updates that needed to be applied when going from OS9 to OSX. This might explain the erratic behavior. Check Apple's web site for specifics to your G3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod
There are no firmware updates for wallstreet, so don't waste your time. I had the same problem with my PB (wallstreet). I installed OS 9 first then I upgraded to OS X. I had read that would help the situation; well It did, I can now close my powerbook and it goes right to sleep, and wakes up once I open the lid. REMINDER: You have to leave classic on there; if you take it off it does the same thing. Must have something to do with OS 9...

Good Luck!

It's good to hear someone else is still using their wallstreet!

iMacKid500 :D

OP
E
Reaction score
Excellent! I will try that, thank you.
iMacKid, Did your problem start after a HD upgrade as well?

OP
E
Reaction score
Well, I tried it, and still have the same problem. I removed the little magnet I placed over the sensor and the system goes right to sleep, and won't wake up. I reset the computer and now OS X won't boot, it goes to 9.2... What am I doing wrong?

OP
E
Reaction score
Question: what would happen if I just take the computer apart and remove the **** sensor? Would it interfere in normal system operation?

I don't care about the sleep feature because the battery is completely dead, so to move the computer I have to shut it down anyway...

OP
E
Reaction score
Hello again,
I took it apart, but the sensor is not as removable as I thought... So, I found an old horse-shoe magnet that came with a small metal plate, I cut a piece just the size of the sensor and placed it between it and the hard drive... everything seems fine now! if I close the lid, the computer goes to sleep, and pressing the power button wakes it up!

Thanks for your help!
Fred.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.