No Front Row Support for the Mac Pro - BOO!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
It'd be nice if Front Row also supported Bluetooth as well as infrared. I dished out a ton of money for this thing and it'd be awesome if I had the sleek interface to get to my music and movies when I have my Quad hooked up to the TV and I just want to watch an episode of House or listen to some music without having to get up all the time.
Does any one know of any other way I could have a Front Row like interface without dishing out another $400 for a wireless antenna for my Mac Pro and buying an Apple TV??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The Mac Pro doesn't come with Front Row? Have you tried looking for it? Press Command + Esc and see if it pops up.

Reaction score
Nope, no Front Row on the Mac Pro. Cmd-Esc doesn't work either. I'm guessing that since Apple considers this a workhorse and not an entertainment machine they left Front Row off of the Mac Pro.

I tried re-installing OS X from the DVDs from my MacBook -- that doesn't work either. You get an error to the effect that this is the wrong disk for this machine.

There is a "hack" - http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2006110314322775 but I haven't tried it.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It comes with it but it won't get installed. Trust me, I've tried. Front Row has a little tool that opens before the install to check if the computer has an infrared receiver. If not (the Mac Pro doesn't), then Front Row does not install.
I know about the hack but it only works will an older version of Front Row that isn't available ANYWHERE for download!! Plus the older version is buggy.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, no Front Row on the Mac Pro. Cmd-Esc doesn't work either. I'm guessing that since Apple considers this a workhorse and not an entertainment machine they left Front Row off of the Mac Pro.

I tried re-installing OS X from the DVDs from my MacBook -- that doesn't work either. You get an error to the effect that this is the wrong disk for this machine.

There is a "hack" - http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2006110314322775 but I haven't tried it.

I will give that a try, thanks!!

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried it without luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That's very interesting, I didn't know that the Mac Pro didn't come with Front Row. You learn something new each day I guess.

Sorry to hear about the hack not working :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.