A Programing question...

Reaction score
First of all:
>I am not asking for "the best language debate"
please keep it out of this thread :)

I am looking for suggestions, I don't want to learn a fully functional programing language as, well there will always be someone out there with more knowledge about their particular language and I have come to grips with that. I am used to Autoit, a very simplistic Windows only language.

I prefer a single file program, I am used to the standard format of setting up:
Variables
GUI
and then the actuall program.

I do like the idea of being able to enter data like its coming fromt he user,

Auto it has the ability to enter direct input, such as:
Type: "Whatever the user would type as an exact match CaSeSeNsAtIvE" (Format for Text)
or
MouseClick: "Left (X coordinates, Y coordinates)"

To be perfectly honest thoes were my 2 favorite comands, and I miss them very much... any sugestions of similiar languages for MAC OS X?

Thank you,
Jake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Are you looking for GUI programming or Terminal.app programming?

For either, C works really well, although the GUI part gets a bit messy - you need to get a GUI toolkit of some sort. But C certainly can be laid out as you show. Also, I specifically say "C" vs. "C++" because C is smaller, easier to learn and when you are ready, you can expand up to C++, but you don't have to start with that complexity.

For a higher level approach, consider Cocoa, Apple's high level language. Here is a URL that has some introductory material.

http://osxdaily.com/2007/02/17/learn-cocoa-mac-software-development-for-newbies/

I have always planned to dig in and learn this myself, but have never had the time.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you mac57, I have been looking at cocoa and after playing around making a few scripts it seems like a simple language made complicated by file refrences and such, I'll take a look at c then... any good sites for c I should take a look at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
C or C++ are good languages to learn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For C, the essential reference is the original "The C Programming Language" by K&R. It is a classic and still selling well in bookstores today. Many, many years ago I taught myself C using this very book and I still reference it to this day whenever I write a little code (among many other things, in my spare time I am an open source software author).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.