Macbook Pro Repairs needed...I need help

Reaction score
Back in January I had a Macbook Pro damaged from water - a good deal of water. The insurance company deemed it not worth repairing. It won't boot, but I am almost positive the screen is OK (after the 'event' it worked OK for a day or two, but then took a crap). I'd like to salvage it and make it OK again.

Where do I begin? I am not a computer tech by any means, but I am very handy and have no problems with swapping RAM, HD's, optical drives, etc, but have never taken anything like this on. I figure, even if I have to spend $500-800 for spare parts, it is still cheaper than a new Macbook.

The big issue is that I don't know what is good and what's not.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 17 2.16GHz Core Duo
I would suggest trying to boot from an external drive or a DVD. If that works then a hard drive replacement should get you up and running again. If that doesn't work then you likely have logic board issues (read expensive to replace)

Larry

OP
J
Reaction score
Is it worth fixing if the logic board is shot? Even with a new logic board, hard drive, ???, it still may be considerably less than a new one. I will try booting from DVD first, than external drive.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP LED 15" SR 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NIVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
How much did you invest? I would also boot off an external hard drive to see if it's just the hard drive, what joeyc said. I work at a company that fixes apple computers and sometimes they can be a bit tricky. When replacing anything, you need to take in account the amount you initially paid for it. Logic Boards are extremely expensive. Optical drives, hard drives, and memory are relatively cheap. When you start to take apart the computer DO NOT use knives to separate the cases, this will damage them. There are special tools that you want to use. They are plastic and won't harm the aluminum. Good Luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.