Make a DVD with various movie formats?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
My brother-in-law just sent me a bunch of home movies that are all in various formats. Some are .avi, some are .wmv, and some are .mpg. I want to put them on a DVD with a menu where you can select the one you want to play. Can I do this in iDVD and how? Or do I need a different application/program due to the various formats, and/or do I have to convert/de-convert any of them so I can use them on a DVD?

I know I can use Sonic MyDVD on the PC for this but I'm trying to stay away from the beast as much as I can while I make the switch to Mac.

Any help is appreciated.

rberry88

I

Icarus

yeah, I make movies as my hobby - and when I switched from PC to mac I lost everything that I'd made because of imcompatable file formats. iDVD is a very very picky program in terms of what it will accept. I know that Mpeg-2 won't work, along with every other file that my Ulead Video studio could pump out, no good.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You may need to get an application like quicktime pro, to convert the file to a format that iDVD can read.

Or you may want to look into DVD Studio Pro (more money) which may read the various formats.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.