Private Browsing

Reaction score
When you activate private browsing, does this also hide your IP address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Not that I am aware of. It just disables the tracking of history, cookies, etc. The idea is to leave no trace behind on the machine of where you have been and what you have done.

In my experience with Safari 2.x, it didn't really work all that well. I still found that a number of cookies were making it through and lodging themselves in my machine. I eventually gave up on Private Browsing and figured I would try it again in Safari 3.x. I have loaded Safari 3.x, but I haven't been motivated to try it again. I tried it out the first time because I had just gotten my Mac, and I was trying EVERYTHING out. Now I just don't see the need, and the Mac isn't the unknown universe it was at the time.

Can other users comment? Does Private Browsing actually WORK in Safari 3.x?

Reaction score
Not sure about that, but yeah it has nothing to do with your IP address... that is separate to the browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Not sure about that, but yeah it has nothing to do with your IP address... that is separate to the browser.
Not really. The browser can be used to mask/hide your IP address.

Reaction score
Oh yeah I didn't think of it like that...I was thinking more of networking. Since your browser sends the headers (which would contain the IP address) to the server the website is hosted on..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
I use Firefox

Firefox is the best for deleting browsing history

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Oh yeah I didn't think of it like that...I was thinking more of networking. Since your browser sends the headers (which would contain the IP address) to the server the website is hosted on..?

Yeah it would contain your actual IP address if you didn't mask/hide it. If wanted, Apple could probably add a feature to Safari that will mask the IP address along with all the other functions of Private Browsing.

There's many extensions for Firefox for masking IPs.

OP
btor72
Reaction score
Yeah it would contain your actual IP address if you didn't mask/hide it. If wanted, Apple could probably add a feature to Safari that will mask the IP address along with all the other functions of Private Browsing.

There's many extensions for Firefox for masking IPs.

Where can I find those extensions? How do I apply them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Or if you are really worried you can set up Tor with Privoxy or something simular. I run a Tor server on my network and use it when I want to be anonymous. ;)

http://www.torproject.org/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.