Port Mapping for FTP (Airport Extreme)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- 2.33Ghz Mac Book Pro - 15 inch Screen - 2Gb Ram - 120Gb Hardrive -
Hi everyone,

Thank in advance for any replies I receive. Firstly before the regular's start ranting at me for not doing a search. I can confirm that I have searched and found a few threads on this subject but nothing conclusive that can answer or solve my problem.

I have a Airport Extreme with a NAS connected via Ip 10.0.1.199
This NAS has a FTP feature which allows the shared folder to be viewed if chosen via the net or external IP address. (This is an anonymous login account) This works fine as an internal network ftp as FTP://10.0.1.199:21

I have mapped the port in the extreme to port 22 (I know its 21) but I wasn't having any luck and thought there could have been a conflict so I changed it as an experpriment. Now if I type my Internet IP into Safari as lets say Ftp://80.33.111.200:22 I would normally expect this to work via the Port Mapping feature. Im not having any luck at all - Is there something within the Airport Extreme dialog boxes which I have missed being new to Mac?

I wouldnt expect to use the feature within Preferences because I am wanted to keep it an external feature from my laptop (Ie to work in the background)

While I am at it, can anyone explain why my AFP client is not repsonding and wont quit process?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated, Regards Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
First off,....I would not use anonymous access, but that's up to you.

Second, if using the NAT feature you'd need to redirect requests inbound on 22 to private 21. That is if you want to use 22. Otherwise just use public 21 to private 21.

This is all fine if you don't care about security.

As far as AFP, are you refering to the connection to the NAS? Is there a firmware update for it? Does SMB work better?

OP
rickmiles
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- 2.33Ghz Mac Book Pro - 15 inch Screen - 2Gb Ram - 120Gb Hardrive -
Thanks for your reply on this matter. Using port 22 was really just a process of elimination tool. Its since been swapped back. This is wat the Port Mapping screen looks like for myself and I have been attempting to access the ftp via normal ip using port 21 or 22 whatever it has been set to with no success.

Yes thats correct, It was working at one time and I had it set to load the various folders on the NAS at login from user items in preferences. After a couple of days that was making the machine unstable because of a "not responding process" and was causing the machine to crash. As im quite new to mac ownership what does smb abbreviation stand for and how would I be able to use that to access the nas.

With regard to secuirty, its down as anonymous purely to get the thing working - once that has been completed the security settings will be updated :)

Thanks again, Richard

Picture 3.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Assuming the AE is plugged into a modem and not a modem/router combo. Port forwarding like that should work providing the IP is correct. If there is a modem/router combo unit which is common these days with home networks, the device will also be running NAT and hence the true port forwarding would need to be forwarded through the modem/router first. In some instances calling your ISP to configure their device as a bridge so that it doesn't NAT would help greatly.

ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:21 is not required if you are not changing the FTP port.

ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is all you need. If you did however change the listening port to something other than 21 you would specify the port after a colon.

SMB (or Samba) is an open source file sharing protocol supported by Win, Linux and Mac. Most NAS devices support SMB and AFP.

SMB 445
AFP 548

AFP is the default for OS X and not required in the connect to server dialogue box. SMB can be used like this,..

SMB://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Both SMB and AFP will require credentials to login.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.