Screenshot default location

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
There's a way to change this through using that software Cocktail. Otherwise, you can while taking a screenshot add in the shift (or ctrl?) key and it will copy to clipboard instead of making a new file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
hi verbatim210,

To change the default location for screen captures so they get saved in a specific location instead of cluttering the desktop, you need to use the defaults command in the Terminal to change the path. It can be done like this:

Create the folder in which you want the screen captures to be saved in the location of your choice.

Open a Terminal window and type this:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Full/Path/To/Folder

Log out and log back in, and the change will have taken effect.

hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
or if you are not comfortable with the terminal, as a lot of people aren't.
i suggest Onyx http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html which not only allows you to tweak your sytem to just how you want it, but also runs maintenance to keep your mac running as best as it can.
i have heard Cocktail (as suggested by Goobimama) is a very simliar app, but i have yet to try is out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.