Macbook Startup Problem

Reaction score
So I was just sufing the net on my macbook and then it decides to freeze on me. At first I thought it was safari so I was just going to force quit it but the apple menu was frozen too...but i was able to click on the desktop. Well anyways, I restart it and then I notice these weird clicking noises coming from the area where the super drive is at and at startup it won't load up...all it would do is bring up this flashing folder icon with a quesiton mark. I tried restarting to get into windows instead but nothing loads when i press the 'alt' key...so I'm not sure what to do. I wanted to try to reboot from the apple disc but I can't seem to find it right now so that option is out. Its been about 15 minutes so far and its just stuck at the startup screen.

Its the first time I've had a mac, so I don't know what to do. My warranty is up so I don't know if apple will even help me out. Kinda sucks though, I've had the computer for barely a year and the case is already cracking and now I get this problem, and I've never dropped it or anything like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.