Beginner!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Hey,

I want to get into editing photos and maybe working on some original digital artwork.
Is there a program you'd recommend I start out with - preferably a downloadable free version before I venture out and buy an expensive package?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Hey,

I want to get into editing photos and maybe working on some original digital artwork.
Is there a program you'd recommend I start out with - preferably a downloadable free version before I venture out and buy an expensive package?

Gimp is a free photo editor. There is also a free trial of Adobe Photoshop Elements. (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/)

OP
cheetahastra
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
I might have a look at both - thanks Eric.
Whats the limitations on the trial of CS3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
You can only use it for 30 days or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
If you do go with Adobe, you'll probably want to get several books. Plus, you don't have to purchase the whole suite if you plan on using just Photoshop. Photoshop & Illustrator are probably the biggest two programs for editing digital photography and creating digital artwork.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i use ps 7 now and then. i like it for what i need to do.

GIMP is also good - as suggested above

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would recommend that you start a little smaller than Photoshop and work up to it. Photoshop itself is a big rambling package - very, very powerful, but daunting to use initially, and not the most user friendly in the world if you don't know how it approaches the topic.

A better start can be had with Photoshop Elements, which is meant for exactly this purpose. I would recommend it, plus a few good books. I strongly endorse the "Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby. There is a member of this series for each version of Photoshop Elements (and for Photoshop too). Packed full of great tips and recipes for doing specific things to digital photographs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
yeah I agree ... start small. I've been using photoshop since it's 2.5 version and honestly just can't use anything else because of the limitation of other programs. Start small first, work you're way up. I'm hopelessly stuck with photoshop now because I know it's capabilities.

OP
cheetahastra
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all - I might be able to source a copy of CS2 for mac off a friend so I might get into that. But going to get Gimp too :)

OP
cheetahastra
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will definitely either buy a book on it or get some stuff out from the library :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
A better start can be had with Photoshop Elements, which is meant for exactly this purpose.

That's what I meant to suggest. :)

OP
cheetahastra
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up getting that copy of CS2 yipee

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.