Do I need to restore iPod going from PC to Mac?

Reaction score
I am yet to update my iPod on my new Mac. It took me quite some time to rebuild my previous iTunes library from my PC onto my Mac. Now that I have I was wondering if I can simply synch my iPod to the "new" library on my Mac, or if I need to restore the iPod first since it was previously synched on a PC.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am yet to update my iPod on my new Mac. It took me quite some time to rebuild my previous iTunes library from my PC onto my Mac. Now that I have I was wondering if I can simply synch my iPod to the "new" library on my Mac, or if I need to restore the iPod first since it was previously synched on a PC.

You will need to format the iPod for use on the Mac. If you already have your library setup on iTunes on your Mac, you simply need to reformat the iPod and then sync it.

Reaction score
You can use a PC-formatted iPod on a Mac (but not the other way around). However, you can only update the firmware in the iPod on a Mac if it's Mac formatted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC :) 24inch 2.8GHz 2GB Ram 500G HDD
You will need to format the iPod for use on the Mac. If you already have your library setup on iTunes on your Mac, you simply need to reformat the iPod and then sync it.

How does someone format there ipod on the mac though?
I know it windows u would normally just right click the ipod and click format.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How does someone format there ipod on the mac though?
I know it windows u would normally just right click the ipod and click format.

Click on your iPod in iTunes on the Mac and click format.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where is the "format" that has to be clicked in iTunes 7.6

Click on your iPod in the Devices category of the left window pane. Then click the Restore button in the right window pane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook black 2.2 GHz, 4Gb Ram - iPhone 4
thanks everyone! i had the same questions and this helps a lot

Reaction score
I hope you realize that you DON'T need to format an iPod when moving from a PC to a Mac. You will have to delete the music from the iPod once you get to the Mac because the iPod can only sync from one computer. You will just have to load all your music and videos back onto the iPod.

The only drawback to leaving the iPod formatted to a PC is that when there are new firmware updates, you will have to use the PC to update the firmware. It will not delete your music once you update. After the update is finished, you simply go on to syncing as you were with the Mac until the next firmware update.

This is how I have my iPod Classic setup and it works well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.