Wireless router encryption

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I cant seem to get my wireless router to encrypt any higher than 64-bit WEP. If I do than it starts booting me off after a couple of moments. I am thinking of calling Belkin but here the customer service department is in a foreign country (india I have heard) and a pain to deal with. Any suggestion on why it does this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What model Belkin is this? Can you give a bit more info?

I will download the manual and help.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok

Cool thanks!! Here is the model #F5D9230-4 Belkin G+ MIMO

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I downloaded the Manual on your router and will check it after dinner and get back to you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks!! And there's absolutely no rush on my part. Thanks again for your help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thanks!! And there's absolutely no rush on my part. Thanks again for your help!

If your router has WPA support in addition to WEP, just use that and don't bother with different encryption strengths. WEP is outdated and largely irrelevant nowadays, since it can easily be broken with readily available tools - within minutes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried WPA and it starts acting up on me. I start getting kicked off of my own network. As soon as my computer reconnects it boots me off like 5 seconds later. Could my bluetooth be messing my connection up? I just downloaded the user manual and will look at it as well. I didn't get one this big with my router.Thanks for your help. I dont think the people around me are too tech savvy as their routers are unlocked. But I have seen other people steal their connection.

I'll have IRC Up

*when I say the people around me I mean my neighbors

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have tried WPA and it starts acting up on me. I start getting kicked off of my own network. As soon as my computer reconnects it boots me off like 5 seconds later. Could my bluetooth be messing my connection up? I just downloaded the user manual and will look at it as well. I didn't get one this big with my router.Thanks for your help. I dont think the people around me are too tech savvy as their routers are unlocked. But I have seen other people steal their connection.

I'll have IRC Up

*when I say the people around me I mean my neighbors

I understand, but all it takes is one enterprising 13 year old to hijack a credit card number to put you in a world of hurt. If you're having trouble with WPA, try WPA2 or WPA w/ AES encryption. WEP can be broken so easily, you're almost as unsafe as you would be with no encryption at all.

Have you updated the firmware on your router recently?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried updating the firmware and it stated that no current update was available. I seemed to have issues with the 64bit WEP and then it started working. maybe I just need to keep trying

Blasted 13 Year-Olds !!! :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey,
I kept trying ( after multiple failures) and now it is encrypted in WPA -TKIP.Seems like reseting with the settings worked. So as long as it remains connected I should be okay. Thanks for your help and I hope dtravis hasnt been working too hard on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.