how extend the wireless range of my macbook pro/g5 imac network?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a G5 imac and a macbook pro (less than a year old). I've been using airport express. The previous airport express signal reached to our basement with no problems. It died under warranty but the replacement doesnt seem to have as strong a signal as I get no connectivity in the basement now.

What's the best way to extend the range of my network?

Will Airport Extreme do the trick even though I have the G5 imac on the network?

My understanding is the G5 iMac wont work with the latest wireless 'n' standard but will with the older standard. Will my macbook pro connect via the 'n' standard and the imac via the older standard or must they both connect via a common protocol and therefore slower and with less range?

Any advice is appreciated.

Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Just for the sake of asking, did you set the power out all the way to 100% on the new one? This is done via the Airport Admin Utility under the "Wireless Options" button.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The new Extreme while being "N" will still do "G" and even "A" for that matter. In other words all WiFi Access Points or Routers are Backward compatible. Try Baggss suggestion also.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The xmitter power is set to 100%. Will the new Extreme run the "n" standard for one machine while communicating to the iMac using another standard?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.