Will 5G iPod videos play on iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
I'm counting down the days 'til the 9th November, when the iPhone is released in the UK. I have quite a few videos, ripped from DVD using Handbrake and Instant Handbrake for my 5G video iPhod. Will these playback on the iPhone. I realise they won't be optimal in terms of screen resolution and will be using the iPhone settings in future. but will they play at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
most likely yes... as my aTV videos work just fine on the iPhone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've used handbrake 0.9 to convert quite a few DVD's to mpeg4/m4v/etc on the "iPod Hi-Rez" setting. Thus far they all play on both my 5.5Gen 30GB iPod and on my iPhone. No difference other than the image is obviously larger on the iPhone.
-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
They will play, but will look a bit odd since the resolution for the 5G videos is lower than the resolution of the iPhone's screen.

Obviously for future videos you'll want to use the iPhone profile in Handbrake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
They will play, but will look a bit odd since the resolution for the 5G videos is lower than the resolution of the iPhone's screen.

Obviously for future videos you'll want to use the iPhone profile in Handbrake

The resolution won't make any difference, the iPhone will resize the picture just like the iPod 5th gen does. Handbrake's iPod Hi-Rez is actually higher than the iPod 5th gen and the iPhone can display, they both have to adjust the video.

Reaction score
The resolution won't make any difference, the iPhone will resize the picture just like the iPod 5th gen does. Handbrake's iPod Hi-Rez is actually higher than the iPod 5th gen and the iPhone can display, they both have to adjust the video.

ive got a 5th gen ipod video 30gb, and i tried the ipod hi rez setting and it just says this video is not compatable with the ipod and itunes wont allow it to be loaded.
i always have to make sure the res is 320x 240 and then it works, but i would like to rip them all in the hi rez so they will work on my ipod touch im going to buy. i always make widescreen videos altered to this too, even though it stretches the video a bit i like it to fill the whole screen.

whats going on with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
ive got a 5th gen ipod video 30gb, and i tried the ipod hi rez setting and it just says this video is not compatable with the ipod and itunes wont allow it to be loaded.
i always have to make sure the res is 320x 240 and then it works, but i would like to rip them all in the hi rez so they will work on my ipod touch im going to buy. i always make widescreen videos altered to this too, even though it stretches the video a bit i like it to fill the whole screen.

whats going on with it?
You're using the handbrake ipod hi-rez setting? Unless you're changing some other setting(s), that should work, it always has for my ipod video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

whats going on with it?

I've been using a self created preset based on the iPod Hi-Rez preset and it works just fine on my Gen 5 (not 5.5) iPod. Are you using the latest version of iTunes and the latest iPod software update?

You can actually go higher than the iPod Hi-Rez as far as bitrate is concerned. With iTunes 7.4 the 5th and 5.5 Gen iPods will take bitrates of up to 2500k.

My preset uses the settings found here:

http://www.phoppe.com/HB/movie/movie.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Hi-Rez works just fine on both my iPod 5.5 and my iPhone 1.0.2. Perhaps you need to use Handbrake's "Update Built-In Presets" feature. You might also try removing and installing the latest Handbrake release (0.9) from the website.

Baggss- thanks for the link. I didn't realize 2500 was good to go for the 5.5G iPods now. 2 questions: do you know how well (if at all) 2500 performs on iPhone? Also, do you notice any average size difference for the output .mp4 file between 1500 and 2500k? Using the standard Hi-Rez defaults, and average Stargate SG-1 or House TV episode usually runs about 45 minutes to convert and 515MB in size for me when extracted form DVD.
-Dave

Reaction score
everything is up to date, and i only downloaded handbrake last week so its the newest version.

i didnt change anything, just hit ipod hi rez then start. and it wouldnt load to the ipod.

i pod low rez worked perfectly. but as i said sometimes i made widescreen films fill the whole screen by making its 320x240. but the hi rez one just wouldnt work.

ill try it again, maybe it just didnt like that film?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.