My iSight no longer works???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
It's a good thing I opted for AppleCare because apparently my iSight is no longer recognized by my MacBook. I restarted and all I can think of doing now is running OnyX. I tried to open PhotoBooth today and I got this message:

Picture4.png

Anybody know what the problem could be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Is the light on? I've had certain websites take over the camera (and by that I mean, just activated it through some javascript or other shenanegins) or iChat AV, which can trigger the Photobooth not being able to get to the camera.

Mostly check if the green LED is on then you can hopefully track down what's got it, and kill it. My wife has a tendency to forget what windows are minimized/hidden so I can see that happening easily.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Is the light on? I've had certain websites take over the camera (and by that I mean, just activated it through some javascript or other shenanegins) or iChat AV, which can trigger the Photobooth not being able to get to the camera.

Mostly check if the green LED is on then you can hopefully track down what's got it, and kill it. My wife has a tendency to forget what windows are minimized/hidden so I can see that happening easily.

No, the green LED is off. It's the strangest thing.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm considering resetting the SMC. Before I do, what will happen? Are there any negative effects from resetting it?

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem solved! I did a forced shut down and now my camera is back! If anyone else experiences the same problem as me, just hold down the power button for 10 seconds and then turn your computer back on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Okay, cool. Sounds like something got stuck in the background and the hard reset put things back to how they should be.

Much better than having to take it in for service in any event. I've had a few kernel panics that listed USB type devices as the culprit, and the built-in camera is essentially a USB webcam.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.